Dumping thermal reactor, which manifolds to use?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Mellow

Post by Mellow »

I've got a 77 630csi, that is running an 81 M30B32, with the stock manifold for that engine. I have perfect original exhaust for the 77, except for the reactors. I want to dump the 81 setup, and convery back to the 77 setup, including downpipes.

I "should" be able to use basically any manifolds from an M30, that didn't use the reactors, the 81 setup, or B35, correct? Basically, the easiest ones for me to acquire are E28 M30B34. Will these bolt to my 77 downpipes ok? Pretty sure they will, but just hoping for some confirmation.
Mellow

Post by Mellow »

To simplify that mess, the question is, can I remove the thermal reactors, and bolt on a set of manis from an E28 533i or 535i? Will they mate to my stock downpipes?
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Post by Peter Florance »

Check the pattern for rotation. That's what BMW seems to do - they use the same bolt pattern at different orientation.

Peter Florance
First Fives Dictator for Life
81 BMW Euro 528i w/ 3.5L & Megasquirt Programmable Fuel injection
81 BMW US 528i ("Repo Car")
mailto:peter@firstfives.org
http://www.firstfives.org
SSR# 284
BMWCCA # 67456

Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 3:29 PM
To: tech_forum@firstfives.org
Subject: Dumping thermal reactor, which manifolds to use?

I've got a 77 630csi, that is running an 81 M30B32, with the stock manifold for that engine. I have perfect original exhaust for the 77, except for the reactors. I want to dump the 81 setup, and convery back to the 77 setup, including downpipes.

I "should" be able to use basically any manifolds from an M30, that didn't use the reactors, the 81 setup, or B35, correct? Basically, the easiest ones for me to acquire are E28 M30B34. Will these bolt to my 77 downpipes ok? Pretty sure they will, but just hoping for some confirmation.

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewtopic.php?p=421#421

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org
Mike W.

Re: Dumping thermal reactor, which manifolds to use?

Post by Mike W. »

Mellow wrote:I've got a 77 630csi, that is running an 81 M30B32, with the stock manifold for that engine. I have perfect original exhaust for the 77, except for the reactors. I want to dump the 81 setup, and convery back to the 77 setup, including downpipes.

No, there isn't really a direct bolt up where everything fits, with the possible exception of Bav manifolds and downpipes. The thermos compared to B34 manifolds, or Bav manifolds are turned, at a slightly different angle and longer. Same bolt pattern, but none of the bolts are in the right place. If you would go to a straight E28 B34 exhaust as I've done, the downpipes hit the idler arm. Not real badly, drivable, but a problem I've yet to sort out. (it isn't currently my DD) I've got some pics I'll try and post later, but really, you need to make it to a muffler shop or have a torch with which you can heat things enough to bend or twist them. Or cut it and have a muffler shop run a quick bead, there are very strict and harsh laws about shops removing cats, but I don't know of any regarding Thermos. :lol: And while I don't like what I see of their work, they can run a bead around a pipe quickly.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
larsobg

Down pipes need to be extended up...

Post by larsobg »

As I recall, talking with the fellow who I bought my 77 from, the reactors are two separate 3 into one using two downpipes, and he used the two separate stock manifolds from M30 engines that used the two down pipes. The Reactors being as big as they are, they drop down quite a bit more than the stock non-reactor exhaust manifolds. So the stock manifolds are about 6 inches shy of reaching the down pipes. He told me he had to have the tops of the down pipes extended up to reach the stock non-reactor type exhaust manifolds.

The car had been done a few months before I bought it and that's the way it ran daily for over 4 years for me. No problems.
Mellow

Re: Down pipes need to be extended up...

Post by Mellow »

larsobg wrote:As I recall, talking with the fellow who I bought my 77 from, the reactors are two separate 3 into one using two downpipes, and he used the two separate stock manifolds from M30 engines that used the two down pipes. The Reactors being as big as they are, they drop down quite a bit more than the stock non-reactor exhaust manifolds. So the stock manifolds are about 6 inches shy of reaching the down pipes. He told me he had to have the tops of the down pipes extended up to reach the stock non-reactor type exhaust manifolds.

The car had been done a few months before I bought it and that's the way it ran daily for over 4 years for me. No problems.
Hey Lars,

This IS your old car! And by god, you're right. I just took a look at the downpipes, and they have indeed been modified to work with later manis. I NEVER would have noticed that, if you hadn't posted in here.
larsobg

Now ain't that a crackup....

Post by larsobg »

Because that's not the 77 I was talking about. I was talking about Schmurfenblau... my pastel blue 77 e12.

I wondered about that name.

So, if you sell Mellow.. .will you let me know about the opportunity.

Lars
larsobg

Now ain't that a crackup....

Post by larsobg »

Because that's not the 77 I was talking about. I was talking about Schmurfenblau... my pastel blue 77 e12.

Lars
Mellow

Re: Now ain't that a crackup....

Post by Mellow »

larsobg wrote:Because that's not the 77 I was talking about. I was talking about Schmurfenblau... my pastel blue 77 e12.

Lars
Hmmm, it wasn't Mellow? Weird, because Mellow's downpipes are extended. Now I'm second guessing the reason for their extensions. Oh well, I'll find out soon.

If I sell it, I will let you know, but I won't be selling it. I have friends who have threatened bodily harm if I sell it. Its now sporting 3.2L, 265 trans, 3.45 side loader LSD, ST sways, Bilsteins, INtrax springs, and 16x8" Gotti wheels. Also had all the upholstery done. She's gonna be pretty nice.

What exhaust setup was on Mellow, when you had her? Still thermal reactors? Was it Tony that removed the engine? When I got her, she was engineless, and manifoldless, so I'm driving blind here, once again.
Al
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

hmmm...
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
larsobg

The engine was out when I sold it... 3.2 installed

Post by larsobg »

I drove Mellow as my daily driver for quite a while. I bought it as the 3rd owner. The first problem I encountered was reverse gear went out in the 3HP. Then the head gasket blew (or the head cracked).

I bought a 3.2 liter with transmission from CoupeKing in Ca. I had the engine installed in the car, but never finished the final hookups. I sold it to Tony and I believe he pulled the engine I had installed. I think Tony sold the car without an engine... seems that's what I heard.

The interior had been changed to vinyl seats by the PO. As I recall, his sister-in-law was learning reupholstery work, and he let her recover the seats in vinyl.

The PO was a dentist in Sunriver, Oregon, and the car was originally a California car. The dentist brought the car up during one of the major migrations of Caucasian Professionals out of California, to Central Oregon.
Odometergears

Post by Odometergears »

I don't know if this helps but I have a set of 6 into 1 stock exhaust out of my 1980. It's on the floor of my garage and headed to the scrape yard in a week or two. Call me if you want them.

Jeff C, NN, VA
757-593-3478
Jeff Caplan 1981 Euro E12 3.5 M106 Block w/T4
Mellow

Re: The engine was out when I sold it... 3.2 installed

Post by Mellow »

larsobg wrote:I drove Mellow as my daily driver for quite a while. I bought it as the 3rd owner. The first problem I encountered was reverse gear went out in the 3HP. Then the head gasket blew (or the head cracked).

I bought a 3.2 liter with transmission from CoupeKing in Ca. I had the engine installed in the car, but never finished the final hookups. I sold it to Tony and I believe he pulled the engine I had installed. I think Tony sold the car without an engine... seems that's what I heard.

The interior had been changed to vinyl seats by the PO. As I recall, his sister-in-law was learning reupholstery work, and he let her recover the seats in vinyl.

The PO was a dentist in Sunriver, Oregon, and the car was originally a California car. The dentist brought the car up during one of the major migrations of Caucasian Professionals out of California, to Central Oregon.
I knew the car was originally a California car. Actually sold new at Cunningham BMW. I'm sure thats the only reason shes still so clean today.

Yeah, I bought the car from Tony, sans engine, trans, window motors and regulators, dash ready to be removed, wiring all in a pile on the floor, no brake booster or master, etc. Its been a rather giant jigsaw puzzle, to get her all back together and running!

I'm going to apply for collector plates on her, but if shes' denied(not 100% cosmetically stock anymore), then I'm going to apply for personalised tags MELLOW.

And the interior is now all been recovered in tan tweed cloth. I kept the original tan leather where it was still there, just replaced all the black vinyl bits.

Al
larsobg

Sounds like a lot of work but it sounds great...

Post by larsobg »

Would definitely like to see pics of the interior if the opportunity ever presents.

could e-mail to me at:

larsco_at_Yahoo.com
Mellow

Post by Mellow »

I'll just post em here....

Pics are not awesome. The tweed actually matches the leather really well, despite what the pics show.

New dash....

Old interior....