Clutch Bleeding?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Scott Bunn

Clutch Bleeding?

Post by Scott Bunn »

OK, So today is the third time that I have tried, unsuccessfully, to bleed the clutch master that I installed. I have done all the steps in the book and have not had any luck. Does anyone have any tricks that I could try? or any suggestions? any help appreciated.
Scott Bunn
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

I pressure bleed whenever I need to do bleeding for the calipers or the slave cylinder, but you must never let the fluid get below the intake port for the slave cylinder on the brake reservoir or you'll just suck air.
HTH

'80 528i
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Strange. When I tried pressure bleeding the slave, two cars, nothing came out the fitting. I thought they were dirty, crunchy, maybe dead. The reservoir was kept full.

Bled them the pedal way, worked great, no problems, done.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

BMW clutches definitely bleed in a strange manner. What has always worked for me is to remove the slave, with the hydraulic line still attached, then with the bleeder screw still closed, pump the rod in the slave several times. Notice nowhere did I say anything about actually having fluid escape. Then bolt it back up, get inside and pump the pedal. If you have any pedal at all, just a quarter inch of resistance at the bottom, it will pump up. And stay there. It will usually self bleed overnight by gravity, not that I've ever had the patience to wait for that, LOL.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Scott Bunn

Question new parts.

Post by Scott Bunn »

I think the master that I put in was bad right from the box. I took it off and put in the one from Helga. I had not used it first because of one of the mounting ears is broke off. I put it on, with only the bottom bolt and it bleed out right away. The pedal almost jumped off of the floor! :shock: :shock: I am taking the new one back and just get the money. Spend it on a big tune up.
Scott Bunn
Robert Bondi

clutch bleeding trck

Post by Robert Bondi »

Like Mike W. said, bleeding the clutch has always been a little weird on the 530i.

I use a trick involving fluid insertion from the bottom, which makes it harder to trap air, although it takes a little more work to fill. I use a hand pump from the bottom. It's just a typical metal can hand pump with gooseneck made for oil, but it's devoted to brake/clutch fluid. With an appropriate fitting and a little vinyl tubing, I do most of the clutch bleeding by hand pump from under the car into the bleeder screw on the slave. Make sure everything around the outside of the bleeder screw is extra clean so dirt isn't pushed in.

Robert
77 530i
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528