Alpina wheel information?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Blaise

Alpina wheel information?

Post by Blaise »

Like many others, I find that the Alpina wheels look great on our cars.

I have been seeing them for sale here and there.

But, I also have noticed that they come in different sizes and offsets. Fronts are often different than rears.

Can any of you tell me which fit our car and what is ideal.

I prefer the open lug version, as I think they are more fitting to the car's vintage. I also like a 16 inch version.

Lastly, they often seem to be advertised for E9s. Is the fit and offset the same as our cars?
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The open-lug Alpina wheels are staggered fitment and are as follows:

16x7 ET11 and 16x8 ET24.

You'd run a 205/55/16 in front and a 225/50/16 in the rear. Shouldn't need to roll the fenders.

They made that same combo in closed-lug, and then there are the 17s, etc, which I don't really think fit the E12s.

I get the feeling that after seeing that photo, you're no longer interested, so here's this one:

T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Without measuring or reading the tires, my two sets are box stock originals from the era, probably the size quoted in the above post. When I've come across any sets for sale, the prices they've fetched made my eyes large.

Be careful, or aware, removing old tires, blasting, minor straightening and painting runs about $150 a wheel. Can't tell any of what may be needed in those areas without a personal inspection.

Alpina clones, to fit into the parade of wheel choices at typical prices are around to Google search.

Mine required fender rolling. Rears on lowering springs, fronts to avoid shaving the tread if you turn sharp into a driveway. Also, mine busted the rear tow hoop, cracked the fender sheet metal to need removal and welding repair.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Thanks, this is perfect information.

Are there markings on the wheels that would indicate any of these specifications.

They look great in those photos.
1977 BMW 530i
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Yessir (more pictures!!!!!!!!)

You can see here in this photo that there's a inset number (KBA 40263 on this wheel), then 7Jx16 H2, then ET11 and lastly "ALPINA." Everything on these wheels is listed between the lug holes and the center hole.
thomas_m535i

Post by thomas_m535i »

@wKohler: did your 16" Alpina wheels (last picture) also require fender rolling? If so, do you think 15" Alpina's would fit without any modifications?

And how would these wheels combine with lowering springs (e.g. H&R, 40mm) ?

Thanks.
E12 M535i '80 (currently restoring)
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

thomas_m535i wrote:@wKohler: did your 16" Alpina wheels (last picture) also require fender rolling? If so, do you think 15" Alpina's would fit without any modifications?

And how would these wheels combine with lowering springs (e.g. H&R, 40mm) ?

Thanks.
Check out his original post where he states, "Shouldn't need to roll the fenders. "
1977 BMW 530i
thomas_m535i

Post by thomas_m535i »

Blaise wrote:Check out his original post where he states, "Shouldn't need to roll the fenders. "
Thanks Blaise, you're totally right :).
E12 M535i '80 (currently restoring)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

It will be close in the rear, but you shouldn't rub. I think if you stay away from a tire with a "rim protector," you will be fine.

In the photo, I had a Bridgestone Potenza RE750 on the car, and it rubbed ever so slightly on the left rear. I have a set of BBS RSs with the same measurements with a BF Goodrich G-Force Sport and experienced no rubbing with those on the E12.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Does anyone have opinions on the Coupe King alpina reproductions?

http://www.coupeking.com/?post_type=parts&p=4897
1977 BMW 530i