Optima, Exide Select Orbital batteries

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Robert Bondi

Optima, Exide Select Orbital batteries

Post by Robert Bondi »

Anyone had any experience with either of these high end batteries? From
my research, both seem to use similar spiral wound lead electrode grids, are completely sealed, store the electrolyte within glass mats to eliminate spillage potential, etc....

Some of the selling points of these upgrades include:
1. superior vibration resistance
2. low self-discharge
3. high CCA, CA
4. no acid or vapor outgassing

The big selling point I'm looking at is the low self-discharge. I drive my E12 on average every two weeks and I'm looking for less dependence on the battery charger.

I've seen mixed information as far as the battery charger requirements on this technology. Some sources claim a trickle charger is required, others don't.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

I bought an Optima red top in February 2008 for my 528i. I never thought to stick a charger on it, and nobody suggested I do. I drive my car even less, so the Optima was appealing based on it's advertising that it can go 12 months on a full charge and still start the car. In January, my battery died. My car doesn't seem to be draining it, it's just the battery.

I did some research and found out that CTEK makes a nice little charger that works with the Optima, so I picked one up. I keep it on the charger, but I notice it goes back and forth between low charge and full charge, so I am thinking I have issues with the battery.

If you do drive it every two weeks, you'd probably be ok with the Optima. For $59.99, the CTEK is certainly a good investment though.
1981 528i
Brian Smith

It's probably not the battery type

Post by Brian Smith »

I think it's a good policy, not only for battery draining avoidance, to start the car weekly or bi-weekly, and run it long enough to start to warm up, and at high enough rpm for the alternator to have a chance to put a little bit of charge into the battery.
I enjoyed getting out into the cold of winter and starting the car every 2 weeks or less this past season.
If that is unappealing, I have this bit of experience to share, maybe others could share theirs:
Despite a brand new Optima red top installed in late fall, I once had the battery become sustantially drained and unable to start the car this winter, when I neglected for over 2 weeks to start the car. It had enough reserve to comtinue to weakly operate the mechanical clock, but not enough to turn the starter. This car previously would sit all week during warm months without draining the battery to that point, as I only drove it on weekends. For the remainer of the winter I left a battery terminal disconnected between startings, and it would strongly crank right up every time using that regimen. If I planned on continuing to not drive the car for more than 2 weeks, I'd install a disconnect switch to preserve battery capacity. Perhaps like this one:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/prod ... word=25053
On my Datsun, I installed a gold plated battery terminal with a chrome Campagnolo bicycle seat tube quick release lever...looked cool, worked great.
Jamie

Optima Battery

Post by Jamie »

I've had both Optima and the Exide spiral. The Exide went in my son's car, since sold. I have two Optimas now. One in my '66 Ford truck and one in the '80 528i. The bimmer stays in storage and comes out for fun and fair weather. It has less then 47k original miles, and I am the second owner. I disconect the battery between drives and or start-ups. The truck starts strong every time. Sometimes I drive it daily and other times it will sit for 3-4 weeks. It sits out in the cold-it is a truck. I trickle-charged both before installing, as the paperwork advised. No corrosion, no leaks and great power. The only other battery I'd even consider is a Powermaster, but they are pricey. Jamie
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I've used both yellow and red tops, but not in the 530. I have a "lifetime" J.C. Battery in her (now Exide). I've had good experience with the yellow tops in my Dodge 3500 Ram Cummins (2 batteries). It sits for long periods. Before I modified the camper to use solar and also keep all the batteries charged, the truck would last about a month before the batteries wore down. I used yellow top because I have heavy electrical loads on the batteries and the Clifford alarm system runs it down faster than a stock system when sitting. They have lasted now for 9 years. I have a red top in my Jeep Wrangle. No problems.
1978 530i (Original Owner)
Robert Bondi

sizing

Post by Robert Bondi »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Anyone have any issues with sizing/fitting for the E12? One thing I noticed about both of these batteries is that they don't come in very many sizes, although the sizes offered seem fairly universal. For example, the Exide application guide lists several dozen sizes for some of their less expensive battery lines, but the Select Orbital appears to be offered in a grand total of two sizes.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Karl in KS

Re: sizing

Post by Karl in KS »

Robert Bondi wrote:Thanks for all the feedback.

Anyone have any issues with sizing/fitting for the E12? One thing I noticed about both of these batteries is that they don't come in very many sizes, although the sizes offered seem fairly universal. For example, the Exide application guide lists several dozen sizes for some of their less expensive battery lines, but the Select Orbital appears to be offered in a grand total of two sizes.
I think the optima I put into my car was slightly smaller than the stock battery. First one lasted over nine years, so I replaced it with one of the same.
Robert Bondi

Purchase Follow-up

Post by Robert Bondi »

I ended up purchasing an Exide Select Orbital about a month ago. The smaller of the two sizes is a pretty good fit for the E12, although the
battery positive cable has to take a bit more direct route from the starter
than the previous battery.

I think the case of the Exide is more rugged than the Optima. It also
has fold-down handles.

So far, I'm happy with the Exide - plenty of juice for cold starts. I think
I'll also get a Battery Tender Jr. as well. I know there's very minor drain somewhere I have yet to discover.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Karl in KS

Post by Karl in KS »

I saw a tech tip where the guy made his own battery tender from a 12v wall wart when the piece of electronics it was originally intended for died. Like he said, it's not enough to charge a flat battery, but enough to maintain a charged one
T.Hanson

Battery

Post by T.Hanson »

Interstate Mt 47 $ 60.00.

Done. Great. Perfect.

On the bench in cold garage in winter, hold a charge a month or two easy. Charger is good as batteries like to cycle. In the car, sit a week hot or cold, start right now. Four years, five years.