Radius arm washers

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

peminick

Radius arm washers

Post by peminick »

I have a general question about the washers that are used with the radius arms on the front axle.

I recently took my radius arms off to change out the subframe bushings, and I was kind of careless about paying attention to the set-up of the washers that both surround the subframe bushing as well as the ones around the bushing where the radius arm meets the control arm. I thought they'd all just go back on with the concave sides facing the bushings, but when I was reading my Haynes manual, it mentioned some things about having one of the washers positioned with the concave side forward that just left me scratching my head.

Does anyone have any experience with these washers--or maybe just have pictures of them installed which can confirm their positioning? From what I can tell, the two large washers that surround the subframe bushing should be installed with the concave sides facing the bushing, but for the bushing in the control arm, the washer on the front side of this bushing should have the concave side facing forward, away from the bushing.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/en/index.html

This site has pretty clear photos. The pre '82 sections for most things apply to E12's.

As for the washers, check the photos, but I'm sure the bolt head and nut sit down in the cup, facing away from the rubber bushing. The washers don't act like pot lids covering the bushings.
peminick

Post by peminick »

This was exactly the tip that I needed! That resource has pretty clear instructions (and pictures) to describe the orientation of the washers.

Thank you.