Window dew wipers Inner/outer-Front rear...

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

philipj

Window dew wipers Inner/outer-Front rear...

Post by philipj »

Hello,

Does anyone know the part numbers for inner and outer window seal/wipers that go inside and outside of all 4 doors on a 77 530? Thank you.
onovakind67

Post by onovakind67 »

'72 3.5L 5-spd Bavarious - E3 with E12 front struts/brakes, E28 3.25 LSD rear axle, E39 wheels, Webers, etc, etc, etc...
Robert Bondi

Re: Window dew wipers Inner/outer-Front rear...

Post by Robert Bondi »

philipj wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know the part numbers for inner and outer window seal/wipers that go inside and outside of all 4 doors on a 77 530? Thank you.
While you've been pointed to the P/Ns, it's not going to help too much because you've just opened an NLA mine field. Many of those parts aren't available and there's also the lower brush that BMW seems to have mis-referenced. Stuff for the later cars seems available - because the side mirror mounting in the window corner, however, all of those brushes strips are shorter and the style of the brush also seems to have changed.

Check posts in 2012 and 2013 between Blaise, Kohler, and I. With a couple lucky finds and some creativity, I rebuilt both front door internals. It was worth it in noise reduction. I still need to do the back doors - have all the parts.

FYI - I spent far more time acquiring those parts than doing the job...
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
philipj

Post by philipj »

Can someone please clarify what are exactly the parts called brush (#7) and sealing lip type (#8 eight) I understood that the dew wipe was a single piece/strip behind the chrome strip on the outside as well as the inside.

I also see the outer left and right weather-strips 51211808775/76 that are NLA. I also cannot find the outer chrome pieces L/R that you used to be able to purchase with the outer weather-strip.. Thank you.
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

philipj wrote:Can someone please clarify what are exactly the parts called brush (#7) and sealing lip type (#8 eight) I understood that the dew wipe was a single piece/strip behind the chrome strip on the outside as well as the inside.

I also see the outer left and right weather-strips 51211808775/76 that are NLA. I also cannot find the outer chrome pieces L/R that you used to be able to purchase with the outer weather-strip.. Thank you.
Inside is a single piece with a "D" cross-section and felt-like texture. Outside consist of two brushes. I call #7 the lower brush. #8 is a plastic strip that comes loaded with the upper brush. If you try to order #7, what you actually get is the upper brush by itself. It's a lot of fun. Kind of stupid that the lower brush might be on a shelf somewhere but the catalog error prevents anyone from buying it. I got the same result from two different sources.

The -775 and -776 were the complete chrome trim pieces, including #7 and #8 integrated into the assembly.

Please look up my posts in the archives. I had some pics linked in to them too.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
philipj

Post by philipj »

Hello Robert,

Thank you for clarifying the part number question for me... After some effort I found the earlier posts.. The only help there would be Restoration Specialties, other than that, I guess I should start measuring doors on all modern BMW's to see which one comes to 37-1/2" or find something generic from the same period...

Did you have any luck looking into E3, E9, or E24's? I need to get measurements somewhere, to even bother with the ETK...

I have made an inquiry with these guys, hopefully they will help...

http://www.topsdown.com/Window-sweep-ma ... -p923.html

Thanks again,
Philip.
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Some more thoughts on this:

1. It will take some creativity and a little luck to accomplish this with all new parts. Even if my previous posts had more detail, it included some random NOS/NLA finds which you can't expect to duplicate.

2. Dug up recent project picture links including my front doors:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertbon ... 3228601585
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertbon ... 7702627658

I know I've got more pictures that just didn't get posted. There's about 5 people in the world interested in this for the 1977, and we're two of them.

3. Yes, you'll definitely want the window channel and upgraded body-side door seal from Restoration Specialties. They weren't too helpful in identifying products from their American car based catalog for a BMW, but the catalog selection is enormous. Also, it's nice that you can request free samples (a few inches long) of virtually any by-the-foot product they have.

4. On both front doors, I managed to find the integrated trim + outer brush parts (NOS). However, the passenger side was wrong - brushes too short as you can see in my pics. In this case, as with the inner brushes for the front, I was able to use two sections of brush material butted close together to cover the front doors. It helps that the back door brushes are more available, albeit shorter...I was very happy with how it turned out. If you take a magnifying glass on the inside, you might be able to locate my seams.

5. Dynamat - This was an upgrade I hadn't seen mentioned on First Fives. It's the shiny silver material in my pics. This, combined with renewal of everything else, was very effective at sound reduction.

6. older cars - Yes, looked at possibilities from E3, E9, E24 etc.....Mostly just more NLA, so not too helpful. The longer, early E24 door had me excited for a while, but I believed I found it was also all NLA.
I also rolled the dice on a few brushes from the E21 and the 78 530i, but found they weren't going to be very useful once I had them in hand.

7. Another option, if you have the money, is to just convert everything over to one of the later E12 or E28 brush arrangements. I might have done this, but I found myself in the awkward spot of having most of the 1977 stuff and just needing to fill a few gaps for parts.

Hope the helps a little.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528