Transmission problems!!!

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

neetyrom

Transmission problems!!!

Post by neetyrom »

Before i get my hands dirty and actually look into the problem I was wondering where you gents believe the problem could lie so i can pin point the error with more precision... I took it to a shop and they want to charge me 2000 dollars with out even actually looking at it, so im never going there again.
heres the jist of it....
I am able to utilize all gears (shifts in and out just fine and clutch grabs normally), i can even drive it with no problem as long as its under 2k rpm and a light load.
When i accelerate in neutral or in gear over 2k rpm a huge clunking noise is evident from what seems to be coming from the bell housing (near the front of the cabin under the dash/ vibrations seem to be evident in the shifter as well)
Tell me what you gents think.
any suggestions are greatly appreciated, God speed.
onovakind67

Post by onovakind67 »

Check your motor mounts.
'72 3.5L 5-spd Bavarious - E3 with E12 front struts/brakes, E28 3.25 LSD rear axle, E39 wheels, Webers, etc, etc, etc...
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp ... 528i&mg=26

Maybe guibo letting go, check center link too.
Mike W.

Re: Transmission problems!!!

Post by Mike W. »

neetyrom wrote:Before i get my hands dirty and actually look into the problem I was wondering where you gents believe the problem could lie so i can pin point the error with more precision... I took it to a shop and they want to charge me 2000 dollars with out even actually looking at it, so im never going there again.
heres the jist of it....
I am able to utilize all gears (shifts in and out just fine and clutch grabs normally), i can even drive it with no problem as long as its under 2k rpm and a light load.
When i accelerate in neutral or in gear over 2k rpm a huge clunking noise is evident from what seems to be coming from the bell housing (near the front of the cabin under the dash/ vibrations seem to be evident in the shifter as well)
Tell me what you gents think.
any suggestions are greatly appreciated, God speed.
That suggests it's not a transmission problem. Center support bearing is where I'd look first, but the other suggestions are good ones too.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
CabbageFumes

Re: Transmission problems!!!

Post by CabbageFumes »

neetyrom wrote: When i accelerate in neutral or in gear over 2k rpm...
I still don't know what this means.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

hahaha my fault @ cabagefumes, organic chemistry is taking over my life.
I just need suggestions so i can approach this problem as fast as possible when i get time. when i rev the engine in neutral position (when im not moving) i here a clunking noise and it sounds prominent, the same clunking noise and pounding is evident when i accelerate and get towards 2,100 rpm and over when im in gear. It has no influence of me getting into gear or driving for that matter....unless im over 2100 rpm, then traumatic clunking is present.
Last edited by neetyrom on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

the guibo isnt moving when I'm neutral right? I can illicit the horrendous response when im in a neutral position so im guessing it cant be the transmission or the driveshaft for that matter, im at a loss in figuring what it actually is until i look into further. i think something in the bell housing may have exploded into pieces and is just dancing around when i rev the engine at high rpm's?
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

If you're at a stand still and you rev the engine and the problem exists, it is not the guibo. The guibo only moves when the car moves, neutral or in gear.
So, if the sound is present if you're reving the engine while not moving, can you verify that the sound is there with the clutch engaged or not?
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

Yes I get the same response with the clutch engaged at a stand still.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

I'm starting to wonder if you have a rod bearing failing.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

Hello gents, I actually diagnosed the problem today when i got time, it turns out its the clutch fan that needs to be replaced. So great that it isnt the transmission. I guess the vibrations from the clutch fan found its way to the engine/ transmission. Thanks for the suggestions gents, all the best!