Manual transmission problem

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

bgriff

Post by bgriff »

Hey guys, my '79 633 has developed a transmission problem....suddenly I can't shift it into any gear without really forcing it. The shifting on this car has always been like a hot knife thru butter, really smooth. I drove it yesterday and had trouble getting it into reverse without scraping gears....I noticed the shifting wasn't smooth as before, but I drove it about 20 miles and came back home....parked it in the driveway and cut the motor off for maybe 20 mins, went to start it to pull into the garage and could not make it go into gear, any gear, so I pushed it into the garage. I checked all the fluids and they're ok....I'm going to jack it up and see what I can find underneath. Does anyone have an idea what I need to look for? I've never had a shifting problem with any of my bimmers so I'm in new territory with this issue....any ideas at all?? Thanks!!

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

First thing that comes to mind is either the bolts holding the shifter support have come out or the support itself may have broken. That's all assuming the clutch feels ok and all.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

You said scraping gears which makes me think clutch is going. I have an auto so not familiar but is there a cable to adjust?
1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
bgriff

Thanks Mike and Randy for your input

Post by bgriff »

Clutch feels like normal and I think Mike hit on the source of the problem. I did hear a funny little racket coming from the shifter area as I was driving, only lasted a minute or so, didn't stop and investigate afraid I'd get stuck alongside the road....that's really when the problem started to get worse. I'll check it as soon as I can get a break from Obamacare.....Thanks!!

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

Mike W. wrote:First thing that comes to mind is either the bolts holding the shifter support have come out or the support itself may have broken. That's all assuming the clutch feels ok and all.
This exact same thing happened to me. Of course, after I purchased new various mounting parts for the shifter and before I took everything down to look at it. :oops:
HTH

'80 528i
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I had that happen once, the clutch needed to be bled. Insufficient clutch travel is my guess.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
pappentl

Post by pappentl »

Grab the shift knob and see if it moves up and down. If so, the rear bracket has broken. The shift tower is supported at the front by two bolts through bushings. At the rear there is a rubber bushing and a bracket welded to the trans tunnel. I've had two of these brackets fail over the yeas due to rust in and both cases the car was almost impossible to shift into any gear (unless I really pulled up on the shift knob).
...tom
and now an '80 528i, the 7th and last in the series
1981 528i, no. 6 in a series... only 270 k miles
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

pappentl wrote:The shift tower is supported at the front by two bolts through bushings. At the rear there is a rubber bushing and a bracket welded to the trans tunnel. .
Nope, if stock, 79 would be a 4 speed which is supported by 4 bolts up front and nothing at the rear. Your description is correct for a 5 speed.
Mike W.

RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

Take off the shift blind and see if the shifter is solid up against the tunnel housing. If you see air then mike is onto it. The metal/rubber grommets holding the shift housing to the back of the transmission can deteriorate. Nobody remembers Franz Fechner in Castro Valley, but he sold me the right pieces to solve a similar issue in 1988. If they go bad you will have trouble shifting.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
bgriff

shift problem with my '79 6er

Post by bgriff »

Hey guys, problem solved....no shifter support issue after all, my clutch is bad....go figure. I have a Sachs clutch kit on the way....thanks for all your comments, I've learned something from several of you....thanks!

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Are you really sure it isn't the clutch master cylinder?
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
bgriff

tranny shift problem issue

Post by bgriff »

Greg....no. I'm not sure if it's a master cylinder problem....that never even came up. My clutch was replaced maybe 30 yrs ago and I haven't looked at the clutch or transmission in many years....probly wouldn't know what I was lookin at anyhow....I had the car towed to a bmw specialty shop Monday and was informed my problem is clutch. I know I'm paying way too much for a clutch replacement. but I've never gone into the clutch or transmission and just couldn't take 2-3 days to play with it. Thanks for your help and comments!

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I brought up the aster cylinder, entrapped air likely. Actually, at that age you are courting disaster. Replace the hydraulics and the hose. Then see what still doesnt work.

These fail too
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 5111202842

A 30 year old clutch disc, do it.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
bgriff

Post by bgriff »

OK, somebody should feel vindicated here....after the new Sachs clutch kit's installed, now the clutch master cylinder has gone bad...new one's on the way. Any good ideas about saving the carpet and more importantly, paint in the driver side footwell??

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Arrrrgg, sorry to hear that. Brake fluid is water soluble, so flush it and shop vac it. Repeatedly. Throw a little simple green in to help break it down. As to the paint, just cross your fingers you got to it soon enough and spray some decent quality on it if it's down to bare metal.

If the shop told you it was the clutch, and charged you for it, at the very least they ought to cover the master and labor. It's not that difficult to troubleshoot, they shouldn't have missed it. Real world you are stuck on the clutch job, but they ought to at least make some effort to make it right.
Mike W.