e12 guru's: help wanted

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

neetyrom

e12 guru's: help wanted

Post by neetyrom »

I was climbing up a steep incline on my way to a costumers house when something pooped out in my car and i had no ability to move. I had to park my car on the incline but even in neutral on my way back down the hill i could here clunking from the underbelly.
Here are some symptoms of what caused the breakdown and the preface of it.
---Bought brand new guibo [Lemforder? (not the doughnut one)] and c.s.b. from 002 salvage, i did everything correct. i.e. align driveshaft, make sure arrows are on the right way etc.etc. my car rides supper smooth now fyi.
-I here a clunking noise but cant pinpoint where its coming from, differential maybe?
-clutch grabs and i can insert the shifter into every gear with minimal effort, i think?
-the driveshaft isn't moving, for an example, I put my car in first and accelerated as if i were to get out of the gear but my car remains stationary, it just wont move or stall out. I can move the shifter into any gear i want, but still nothing. Im beginning to think its a problem in the clutch because My driveshaft isn't moving, but i can still put it into any gear easily. Engine works but i cant generate that power into my wheels. Again it cant be the driveline I hope to god its not my transmission. Is there a possibility it could be my diff or clutch/pressure plate?
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

Just to make sure i get everything across. their is a clunking noise, think a metal bracelet twirled around on a metal rod you can only hear it when the car is moving in neutral. Stationary with gears engaged i dont move and rarely ever hear that sound. It honestly sounds like its coming from the differntial but from my past experience where it 'sounds' like its coming from is rarely accurate. i.e. thought i had a problem in my transmission once, but it was really my fan clutch.
I've been doing some research, potential culprit include, an axle popped out.. clutch/pressure plate/ slave cylinder and fluid levels, transmission shifter linkages, driveshaft issues (i know thats not the problem I fixed the issues already) differential.
any help is greatly appreciated
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Did you also change the 'center bearing' on the drive shaft when you did the guibo?
Just a guess.
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

yep csb has been replaced with a new one
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

update: with the car off and in first gear. I can move it forward by pushing it, so im assuming it is a problem with the clutch or throwout bearing??
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

If you mean it moves as though it isn't in gear,
I would start small & think about the tranny linkage?
Or maybe the clutch master cylinder? But, I don't think that would
cause the noise. Try the linkage.
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

hi greg, im beginning to think its a problem with a linkage too.. I wont be able to get it on stands until all this raining has stopped tho. :( thx
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

It does kind of sound like the diff, but until you get it in the air it's just guessing.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

If the driveshaft doesn't move with car in gear, running, it would t be the differential as you are not getting any motive force to it. Since you did recent work on driveline, I'd first look at mechanical connection between transmission to drive shaft. Maybe driveshaft is disengaged?Did the problem appear instantaneously? Clunking while rolling suggest driveshaft wobble; something came loose and allowed ds to disengage. With one wheel in the air try turning wheel by hand, in neutral, driveshaft should turn, but not with car in gear. When you get it in the air try turning the drive shaft by hand with transmission in gear. Shouldn't budge. Of course you'll have wheels blocked so it can't roll. If driveshaft spins with car in gear, you'll know the problem lies between shaft and engine. Also might try starting it and trying to engage a gear without clutch, gingerly. You'll know by the sound if the clutch is good or not. Grinding=good, slipping into gear without driving away=problem between tranny and engine.

My money's on the driveshaft.
1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

The first half of the driveshaft tore off the beginning of the u joint. Thoughts on why this happened? I made sure the splines were relatively within the exact same place from where I seperated them from.
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

ImageShit by Aneet Sahota, on Flickr[/img]
neetyrom

Post by neetyrom »

sorry for the humongous picture, im guessing cause it wasnt perfectly aligned when i put everything back together.
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

Wow :shock:

Does the rear diff still turn? Either the driveshaft was damaged/weak for a while and the extra load on the hill finished it off, or, there was a sudden stoppage in the rear(ie. The diff seized up) and the torque sheared the driveshaft.

Not really a symptom of unaligned driveshaft, and if it was out of balance enough to cause that kind of damage you would have known for a while.
'78 Euro 528i Rubinrot Metallic. Who else has this color?
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

That is really unfortunate. Ditto what Jody said. Looks as thought the center mount gave up as well. Hard to know what failed first. When you checked the ds alignment after install was it at just one point or did you rotate ds and check for trueness? I'm thinking maybe play at the guibo caused the center mount to fail leading to driveshaft wreckage. But hey, it wasn't the tranny!
1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

This is crazy. After everything we talked about regarding the driveshaft rubber parts while we were driving your car the shaft breaks. I have a driveshaft here if you need it. Call me at 510-590-7369 Ron
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4