Tips for front sway bar bushing replacement?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

xyzrbs

Tips for front sway bar bushing replacement?

Post by xyzrbs »

Wow. Seems like I need to drop or lower the front subframe to replace the bushings (and sway bar)? Am I missing something, and is there any other way? Any tips, how-to posts, or step-by-step instructions?

Thanks in advance...
Currently preoccupied with:
1981 528i
1979 Ford F-150
2004 Ducati 749
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

I definitely had to loosen mine, but I put a big sway bar in there.
'78 Euro 528i Rubinrot Metallic. Who else has this color?
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

No need to drop subframe if you use the slender 19(?)mm wrench in the tool kit(thanks to the 1st fiver who posted this tip). First detach end links. I recently replaced a broken bracket and installed new bushing no sweat, just many short turns of the wrench. I think i had to keep flipping it over as well. It's not a straight on fit angle-wise so take care to avoiding stripping the bolt head.
1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

Rule #1 "Don't Panic" I have a toolbox full of cheap chinnese wrenches I've cut, milled, ground, hacked and drilled to make the approximations necessary to get at the bolts that my SnapOn tools won't reach. Best investment I ever made 40 years ago was a set of their sockets, end wrenches and ratchets. I couldn't afford them at the time but the quality feeling and the way they hold your nuts is indescribable. Trust me, your knuckles will thank you if you have ever had a chinnese wrench fail on you.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
xyzrbs

Post by xyzrbs »

RandyM wrote:No need to drop subframe if you use the slender 19(?)mm wrench in the tool kit(thanks to the 1st fiver who posted this tip). First detach end links. I recently replaced a broken bracket and installed new bushing no sweat, just many short turns of the wrench. I think i had to keep flipping it over as well. It's not a straight on fit angle-wise so take care to avoiding stripping the bolt head.
That's encouraging. I have the complete tool set, so I'll try to give it a shot this weekend. Thanks to everyone for the input!
1981 528i
1979 Ford F-150
2004 Ducati 749
xyzrbs

Post by xyzrbs »

RandyM wrote:No need to drop subframe if you use the slender 19(?)mm wrench in the tool kit(thanks to the 1st fiver who posted this tip). First detach end links. I recently replaced a broken bracket and installed new bushing no sweat, just many short turns of the wrench. I think i had to keep flipping it over as well. It's not a straight on fit angle-wise so take care to avoiding stripping the bolt head.
Unbelievable...the 17mm wrench from the toolkit TOTALLY works. Success! Thank you!
1981 528i
1979 Ford F-150
2004 Ducati 749
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

xyzrbs wrote:
Unbelievable...the 17mm wrench from the toolkit TOTALLY works. Success! Thank you!
Yeah, and it's got to be the original 17mm box. New versions of the tools in the tool kit can be bought today; however, they've overdesigned many of them so that they don't work in half the applications they're needed for. Learned that the hard way....
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
MikeB7

Post by MikeB7 »

You'll also need that toolkit wrench to replace the starter. Nothing else will fit.
'79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #096
'79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #124
'80 635csi
'80 323i Baur