stuck clutch on a '79 528i

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

D.

stuck clutch on a '79 528i

Post by D. »

After changing out the auto for a five speed two years ago and driving it for a mile and then parking it, the clutch will now not disengage. Everything worked great, back then. New slave, master, disc, pressure plate, TO bearing, pivot pin, rear seal, etc. Tranny shifts fine with engine off. Will absolutely not go into any gear with engine on. Area was cleaned big time. If I start the car in gear, it lurches forward (or backward).
Searched the search, (both boards), haven't come up with a fix. Tomorrow I'll hammer the pedal a hundred times, see if that fixes it, not hopeful.
Beautiful car, it's that sky blue color. I'll keep " searching". Thanks.
Falkenberg

Post by Falkenberg »

I know that this was a frequent issue on the 2002. People would even store them with the clutch pedal pushed in.

- if it would happen to me - and assuming that the mechanism is actually still working, I'd try to break it loose on a piece of empty road by accelerating hard with the clutch pressed.. No idea if that would help though.
1961 Simson AWO sport (Brasoveanca)
1968 BMW 114 2002
1976 BMW E12 528 (Malèna)
1987 Kawasaki GPz900r
1996 Moto Guzzi V75 PA NT
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Falkenberg wrote: - if it would happen to me - and assuming that the mechanism is actually still working, I'd try to break it loose on a piece of empty road by accelerating hard with the clutch pressed.. No idea if that would help though.
Good idea, yeah, get it up to speed, then push in the clutch and try to rev the engine. That or get it up to speed, push in the clutch and stand on the brakes.

Assuming you have mastered the odd clutch bleeding necessary on BMWs, I'm guessing the flywheel is rusted to the friction disc. I've heard of it happening, but only a couple of times. How does the clutch pedal feel, good pressure like you're compressing the pressure plate?
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I had that problem with my Cat tractor A few years ago, the tracks rusted to the sprocket!
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4