OEM Locking Gas Cap

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

JodyStevens

OEM Locking Gas Cap

Post by JodyStevens »

I have a locking gas cap for my car but it's broken. I have a spare one that I want to swap the tumbler with to use with my original key. Has anyone tried to swap them before?
'78 Euro 528i Rubinrot Metallic. Who else has this color?
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

To preface my question I just took six pounds of bolts, nuts, washers collected from a few years of junking to a plater to be yellow zinc coated. You know, same as new. For the slight rust corrosion protection, but more for that golden dazzle under the bonnet,... where the sun never shines ?

Because I have no idea why I like a 35 year old grocery getter better than any other car, and want any replacement hardware I may need to install to look new,...

Why do you need, want a locking gas cap ?
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

Because it's original to the car and I'm a massive dork when it comes to that stuff. I literally never lock it, but in my mind I know it's there :lol:
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Let's use the word," Eccentric," for our strange behaviors.

It seems kinder, gentler on us than massive dork or obsessive, compulsive putse.
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

T.Hanson wrote:Let's use the word," Eccentric," for our strange behaviors.

It seems kinder, gentler on us than massive dork or obsessive, compulsive putse.
Haha deal.

In other news, I destructively disassembled the old gas cap to see how it's together. I'm afraid it's not able to be disassembled. The bottom metal peice is crimped into the plastic cap and a tiny roll pin is installed underneath that which needs to be pulled out to remove the lock. In short - it's not possible.
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I have one on my 77 that scares the hell outta me. I would prefer a regular one because I know I can open it. I think it is aftermarket. Seems to thread in.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

At first I didn't realize how it worked and I couldn't figure out how to open it. Once I figured out that when it spins freely it's locked and when it doesn't spin freely it's unlocked and you just give it a hard turn. So I guess I'll keep it and just have a second set of keys, Or swap all the locks .

How I destroyed the original: I was cleaning the tank with muriatic acid(diluted) for coating. I put the cap on and gave it a few swishes and let it sit for a while. The acid melted/dissolved whatever metal is used on the bottom of the cap and it would no longer retain the spring assembly :shock: