Replacing rear brake pads... Tips?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

PeterD

Replacing rear brake pads... Tips?

Post by PeterD »

First time trying this job, I got the pins and springs out easily enough but can't pull out the old pads. Any tricks? Should I remove the caliper? I was reluctant to try that since it's a hard line going to the caliper and I don't want to damage it. What's the best way to do this? It's a 1979 528i. Any details and tips would be very much appreciated!
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
GripGreg

PeterD

Post by GripGreg »

Try taking off the brake fluid cap, lay a mechanics rag loosely in place of it so brake fluid doesn't spray everywhere. Then wedge a strong flat head screwdriver between the back of the pad and the piston and slowly, with patience, pry the piston away from the pad enough to release it.
You'll have to press the piston open a little more to make room for the new pads anyway.
When prying the piston, make sure the tip of the screwdriver is in the center of the piston as much as possible.
Check the resevoir so the fluid doesn't get too low! This works for me.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Like Greg said, you need to compress the caliper by pushing in on the pads first, then they should just slide right out.

What I do differently is I crack the bleeder open and push the brake fluid out there instead of back thru the master and into the reservoir. If you have kept up on flushing annually it shouldn't be a problem, but ever since I did brakes on a Toyota many years ago and had the master fail a week after I did brakes, finding it full of black crap, I try to avoid pushing fluid back in there.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
PeterD

Post by PeterD »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I was able to tug out the old pads, and have been able to press in 3 of the 4 pistons. Opening the bleeder valve definitely helps, but it's still a real pain. I'm not sure what/how to do differently pressing in the fourth piston- it just seems stuck even with the bleeder open and applying quite a bit of force.
GripGreg

Piston

Post by GripGreg »

Then, your piston is frozen in th caliper. Luckily we have the four piston setup per caliper!
Eventually, you'll have to rebuild both calipers. Never do just one side! You'll hate the tugging to one side.
Does the pad appear to be worn on one end more than the other?
Good thing it's on the rear 'cause they ony help the front brakes do the real job.
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach