Mysterious turbo noise.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Mysterious turbo noise.

Post by T.Hanson »

The current solution is drive it,... until the pronounced source of the," Spinning," noise from the front of the engine blows up.

Water pump, alternator, radiator, fan, fan clutch, power steering pump, A/C condenser, all belts replaced, inspected to new specs when the 56,000 mile engine was (restored to new specs ) swapped in 3-4 years ago. Not large miles driven since.

No warning lights, leaks, all gauges normal. Belt tensions checked, belts clean, pulleys clean and straight.

Still, because the other 528i is around for audio comparison, the," Turbo air," spinning tweety is not in my hearing aids. Constant, responds well to throttle input.

Any experiences out there for hints ?
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

I use a stethoscope sometimes connected to a rod of some sort to pinpoint noises that seem to escape location detection. Be careful and poke around.
HTH

'80 528i
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

or a long handled screwdriver - tip of the tool on the component then put your ear to the handle and listen. Surprisingly effective.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

Air sucking through throttle body? Mine does the turbo whine at moderate rpms
1981 Sapphire blue automatic
Hit 200k mi. on Fathers Day 2016!
250k October 2020
Family owned since new
Route 150 between Ojai and Santa Barbara
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Swapping in a different alternator, try it to see if it was noisy and possibly the cause of the battery drain.
I must have bolted it on the engine before installation. Put it this way, any and all instructions ever written, and now on U tube for fixing e12's are ridiculous. Funny stupid.

"Remove alternator."

That's what you do, just you and your wits, wrenches, extensions. And never give up until it's done and running.