Engine sitting, proper starting procedure.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Engine sitting, proper starting procedure.

Post by T.Hanson »

The engine and mechanicals ran well when the restoration began two years ago. Disassembly, interior, body work, paint, budget, time on the jack stands in the shop (garage).

Anticipating the fantasy, the arrival of the day to turn the key,... What is the intelligent process to be followed when starting a good engine that has been sitting ?

For information: Oil, all fluids changed before sittiing: Coolant, radiator flushed, calipers rebuilt, new fluid, gas tank removed.

Concern is with gravity, skinning the rings, pistons, cylinders with the oil not there, minimal, starter turning. Remove valve cover, oil in the the head ? Turn with the plugs disconnected for awhile ?
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

Just pull the HT coil wire to the dizzy. Crank a few times to move some oil, not more than 20 secs. or so each time, with a rest for the starter motor in between.

If the oil is over a year old, I would fire it up, take your victory spin, and plan to change the oil soon.
HTH

'80 528i
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

As long as the engine has been reasonably well sealed I suspect there is less difference between a week and a year than overnight. I've taken apart M30s that have sat for years and there was still oil in the bearings and cylinder walls. Disconnect the ECU and crank for a while if you're worried, that way no fuel will be injected to wash any oil down, then hook it back up and go. As long as the oil light goes out you should be good to go.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

We started an E9 I rebuild 14 years ago, just spun it with the coil lead off and after about 20 seconds poured some fresh gas into the carbs and it fired right up. A bit of smoke but it cleaned up right away. Ran perfect in a few seconds, happy to be alive again. Webers. The old Solex carbs would have bee a different story!
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4