Leather care

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

528i-1981

Re: Leather care

Post by 528i-1981 »

I did a 12-day plan, rear seats in the attic, fronts stayed in the car. I hit them repeatedly, massaging in the Leatherique oil, rewrapping in plastic bags, and eventually they got soft. Real soft, in fact. Every day, there would be areas that had absorbed all of the rejuvenating oil and were still dull and hard. Patience is indeed the key, and the Pristine Clean is really only for the final clean. The seats will be a little tacky, but the next day give it another spritz of the Pristine and you're done.

As written by others, it doesn't magically restore the leather to showroom new, but it does turn back the clock a little.

Here's before:

Here's after:

Different light conditions (and sorry different sides of the car) but a noticeable improvement.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

these look outstanding! When you use the plastic, always reuse the same bag since there is Leathique already on the inside of the bag it will assist in possibly absorbing more. (thats probably what you did anyway, I'm sure)
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
Former FF Ambassador to Montvale
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Just to be a poop, 37 years does more to the seats than make the leather stiff, if not loved from purchase, in the perfect garaged climate.

The green waxed hair that makes the block shape of the seat succumbs to moisture and turns to brown shredded wheat. The foam that forms the tuck and roll under the leather turns to crumbs. The two things together work to crack the vinyl beads and break the threads.

Same old choice of solutions to like new : Your time or rub money on it.
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Time and the law of entropy are gigantic poops. This winter I'll replace the foam and seat pads. Then I'll wait for JCat to sell me his E12.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual