No quick start after fuel pump, filter replacement.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

No quick start after fuel pump, filter replacement.

Post by T.Hanson »

How many (short) attempts with the starter, so's not to bother it, are enough to suspect something is not right after replacing the in tank filter pump, fuel filter, staying with the exterior pump that worked ?

Should there be an audible pump noise with the key on ? A hose to disconnect and check for fuel flowing ? Does it take time for the fuel to fill the filter ?

Thank you for any trouble shooting advice I have not been able to find in Haynes, the factory site or Google searching.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No, there is no prime function when you turn the key on. The fuel pumps are turned on when cranking or by the flap in the AFM while running. I'd pull the intake boot off and manually push in on the AFM flap with the ignition on. You should then hear or feel the pump(s) running. It shouldn't be necessary, but you can do that and give it a nice long prime so to speak.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Thank you. Switching out the pump for another off my parts shelf, if left there for a long while they can leak big time around the aluminum casing on the end with the power connectors. At least it worked,... to make a nice fuel puddle.

Is it common for them to dry out over time and die ?

If there is a way to (safely) test one without going through the entire installation process, I am ready. Otherwise I think it is time to visit the pump store with money.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Never mind...

I have had the car for 16 years. A new OEM Bosch pump from Autohaus is $100, free shipping. That's $6 a year. 75¢ a month.

Slap my face.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Autohaus Arizona is the pump solution. OEM Bosch $102 free shipping.

The trick to faster initial start, priming, is opening the Air Fuel Meter flap. Hear the pump loud and clear.
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Another trick I use to prime pump, adjust fuel pressure, or just trouble shoot is to use a small thin
segment of solder (soft) and jump AFM pins 36 and 39, IIRC, on the
FI harness connector to AFM. Solder is so soft you can then put the 7-pin connector
back on the AFM. This has the same effect of opening the AFM door, but you don't even need to remove the air cleaner.

This bypasses the fuel cut off safety feature, so you don't want to leave it
that way forever.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528