" Ended" sources for finding parts NLA.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

" Ended" sources for finding parts NLA.

Post by T.Hanson »

It happens I am in the asylum with a 635, but looking for E12 parts, trim pieces, gaskets, rubber strips fits the question.

Do any experienced experts in the clubhouse know of places that sell generic things, aluminum strips of the proper dimensions, etc. as an alternative to no hope, checking Ebay for years in the future or having to pay large for a weird replacement piece ?
Lock

Post by Lock »

I have a wish list for wallothnesch that I might buy one day. But I hate all these drop-ship sites that connect to the same BMW parts database and contain the entire parts catalog (they all have the same layout), they'll take your money and then about a week later give you a refund saying "NLA". Yes I know it's NLA, don't get my hopes up!
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

As the 633 project has no deadline, when a needed part appears the search will be on. After posting my request for member experience with possible sources, not exactly being flooded with replies,...

I did some Google Searching and found a BMW site in Atlanta, Pelican Parts, etc. offering at least a chance before Ebay. No big deal, one silly thing at a time.
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

I've got an NLA "wishlist". I continuously sprinkle requests for NLA
parts into my parts orders. I've seen a couple come back.

I recommend we all keep asking if you're in this for the long run. I've been told in several conversations over the years that BMW does keep track of parts requests, so every once in a while you might trigger another run of an NLA part. It helps if you think of that annoying "NLA" line item as throwing your name in the collective hat....
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
garyinwestoz

Re: " Ended" sources for finding parts NLA.

Post by garyinwestoz »

maybe a FAQ list could be written up of these NLA parts.

I have a spare parts car - so I'm not up with NLA parts - except the central resonator - evidently thats NLA here ( Western Australia)

my guess of NLA parts:

exterior bodywork
front and rear euro chrome bumpers
chrome weather trim strip ( runs along top roof line)
rear air vent

interior work
radio/consul plastics
interior light cover

mechanics
pedal brackets etc for auto to manual conversion
5 speed C/R gearbox ( to go with manual conversion)
heater /fan blower

engine bay
fuse box cover
74 525 auto
76 525 - 4 speed, LPG and holley carb- restoring
77 528i- 4 speed manual
77 528i -4 speed manual getting rusty
79 528i auto - a SA car?
80 528i auto - ready to relicense
81 528i +3.5ltr - auto - restoring
86 525e 5 speed manual- dd
cory58

Post by cory58 »

Just had persistence pay off and thought of this thread. My E12 needs minor rust repair around the front and rear glass. The P.O. of my car started stockpiling new parts to replace the front and rear window trim when the rust is repaired. I completed the stockpile but two of the corner pieces are NLA from BMW. Can't remember why, but I ran a Google search for the part number last weekend and one popped up on eBay. When I realized the seller was BMW of San Antonio, I was disappointed and thought it was the usual online BMW dealer deal - the part shows for sale but is really NLA.

I messaged the dealer and they quickly responded that yes, the part is NLA from BMW buy they had a few on the shelf and the one on eBay was the last one. I thanked them and quickly bought it. Part arrived a few days later. The special order sticker from BMW shows it was ordered by a local body shop. Guess they either did not need or returned it. Regardless, score for me!

This is the second time I've found an NOS NLA part for the the E12 on eBay.

Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Very satisfying, Cory.

I've also set up Google Alerts as well as eBay alerts for many of the NLA part numbers I want. When something new gets added to their indexes, you receive an automated email and can jump on it. Sometimes it's in Greece or Latvia, but even a long delivery time is better than never.

For searching all of Craigslist (707 cities in the US, more in CA and MX) check out searchtempest.com if you don't already know about it. For small parts, newly listed E12 or E28 part-outs might be a source for what you need, and most sellers can be convinced to ship smaller items, even if far away.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
cory58

Post by cory58 »

Eric,

Awesome info! Thank you.

Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)