81 528i Photos Needed

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Jcat

81 528i Photos Needed

Post by Jcat »

I am trying to replace my old brake fluid rez on my 81 528i. The part that I ordered from BMW (3432 115 1729) does not match up to the one on my car. This is the superseded number from 3432 112 0386. I would like to see images of the installed rez on any 81 528i so I can see if Im the only guy out here with this problem. Mine has a port coming out of the LEFT side (as you sit in the car) of the installed unit where a flexible tube connects. Other than that, the unit snaps into the top of my Master Cylinder. My car is stock original so I know it is correct. I also have the HTK software and know that the part number BMW has is not correct. At least not on my car, an APRIL 81 build, but then again HTK shows a December build the same as all the others, so Im at a total loss. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. PS: I have a MANUAL tranny.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
Former FF Ambassador to Montvale
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Google search images.
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... FDa2JRRmhR

Here are two images that show what I have. I hope this link works... Let me know if this is what you have. (I tried Googling for Images but none of the shots were from a good enough angle to really focus on the rex itself. Here you can see the BLUE flex hose coming from the LEFT side of the rez. Thanks a lot for helping. I need to try to find this part and BMW is shipping a totally different model of this.Image
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

That is the one.
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Well. Thanks a lot for confirming what I thought I knew all along. I've contacted BMW NA and they are going to go to ATE to crosscheck the ATE part numbers cast into the top and bottom of the rez) two separate numbers as Im sure you probably know). I just hope they can get to the bottom of this. Its bugged me for quite some time. Thanks T!
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Lock

Post by Lock »

What is the issue you're having, is it just that the clutch feed pipe is on an angle and not straight? Mine is a 79 and I have the same unit as you.
Mine was an auto and when I converted to manual I just cut the end of it to feed the clutch, same unit for auto and manual.

1979 528i - Sold
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

What you ask is a very good question. My NEW unit's nipple DOES exit on an angle, but from the forward chamber of the reservoir, whereas my ORIGINAL unit has a straight nipple editing out the rear chamber. Also, the nipple on the NEW unit is capped. If I cut off the cap as did you, not sure there is enough remaining to get a good bite by the the flex hose leading to the clutch. Are you thinking the caps were intended to be cut? All along, I have been convinced otherwise (but wha'do I know?) And is there no difference if the new unit's nipple exits out front when originally they exited the rear? Has to be a reason for that change I would think. No? AND THANKS A MILLION FOR TAKING THE TIME TO PHOTO AND CORRESPOND. I so appreciate it!! I just want to do it right and am an anal stock OE guy. I bought this puppy in 84 and have rebuilt nearly everything including the interior... But all stock.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

The cap is meant to be cut as the new reservoirs are intended for both automatic and manual configurations. A good parts manager will tell you the replacements are intended for several models, most likely including the early e24s in this case.

Do you need the correct blue cloth braided hose from the brake reservoir to the slave cylinder? BelMetric has it, about $32 a foot!!
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

DANG!! i have been looking for an exact match to my 81 OE. i had no idea that this would be the replacement, even though BMW said so. I was sure it was wrong given the so many differences and not ever thinking that the nipple cap was INTENDED to be cut off for the manual applications. Thanks so very much for the clarification and source for the BLUE hose. This thing has been on blocks for about 2 years and i want 'er on the road by spring. Any idea where I might find a NOS Left Front Protection Plate aka brake dust shield? None in Germany. There have to be a handful of old time shops out there where one is collecting dust. I know it is hardly a sought after part...
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Lock

Post by Lock »

Yes just cut it as far forward as possible to leave the barb on, but far enough back that the hole will be large enough to flow the brake fluid to the clutch master cylinder. As long as the barb is there you can put the hose clamp on behind it to make a good seal.
Don't worry I asked the same thing and the forum members helped me out, I used my existing and was worried about it being brittle and breaking the whole thing but even though it looks yellow and fragile, it's still flexible and cut without issue.
1979 528i - Sold