HELP Sliding Roof

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Jcat

HELP Sliding Roof

Post by Jcat »

I have a broken "gate holder" so my roof sinks in the back when closed. Can someone tell me how to replace this? I sure hope I dont have to remove the entire lid... thoughts?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
Former FF Ambassador to Montvale
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Jcat

Re: HELP Sliding Roof

Post by Jcat »

OK... LETS try a new question... so can anyone tell me how to remove the sun roof lid itself? Please... I am desperate!
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Refer to the online tech repair manual for guidance. Step 1, open the roof enough to get your fingers over the front of the interior white vinyl cover. Step 2 , Pull it down smartly, to get the pegs clear of the frame. Step 3. Once the pegs are out of the frame the interior panel will slide back to allow you to see the triangular plates / fasteners holding the sunroof panel to the cables.

Generally, average, the above process is not too bad and fairly obvious, straight forward.

The *%# part, maybe, worst case scenario, I have discovered through experience : Really neglected, rusted sunroof mechanisms can require maintenance under the headliner.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

It feels like you are going to break something when you pull the headliner down from the front of the sunroof. I haven't yet in a sample of 3 or 4, but it sure feels like it. I think I have replaced the part you're looking at, but I can't recall the details, but I don't think I had to pull the sunroof panel. IIRC it wasn't that bad.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

My roof is both a sliding AND tilting roof. Not a particularly insignificant detail to omit from my post. The removal process is different here and the shop manual is vague at best. Wallace... Hanson... any ideas guys?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Both my '79 and '81 have slide / tilt roofs. The way to access the inside is the same. Open the roof six inches, enough to get your fingers over the white vinyl interior cover, and pull it down smartly.

There are four plastic pegs in the cover that push into the metal frame. Once the cover is out of the frame it will slide back under the roof vinyl. Sitting in the driver seat you will be able to look up and see the metal triangle brackets, little hex nuts, to remove and access the tracks and cables.

It will all make logical mechanical sense.
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

T... I sent you a Private Message to see if I could phone you to go over some of the finer points of this job. My new parts are in and I am dying to get my sun roof repaired, but after removing those nuts, the lid still does not come out. Apparently, there are other steps to follow and I dont want to mess up this as it is pretty delicate in there. I hope this makes sense. But the shop manual says to "loosen" 5 screws and remove a 6th, as shown in the diagram in the manual. But loosening them does nothing to assist in the process. I think they mean remove, but dont want to jump the gun. These stainless steel rails or guides on top also have an adhesive to hold them in place. Please check for the Private Message I sent you. Thanks a million!
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com