Trunk lid stuck closed.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Trunk lid stuck closed.

Post by T.Hanson »

If anything is possible,... perhaps a member has a 1,2,3 solution for opening a trunk latch that is stuck closed, will not open.
Mike W.

Re: Trunk lid stuck closed.

Post by Mike W. »

How is it stuck closed? The lock doesn't seem to work or the mechanism just doesn't release?
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

The lock button, unlocked, key slot horizontal, works. The problem is in the trunk lid plate being misaligned forward or rearward to not allow it to clear the lock latch hook.

We know there is no access to the steel trunk box when closed by the faulty lock mechanism.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Well you can try pushing as hard forward as you can, that might work, the latch hook retracts back so pushing the lid forward is the direction to go. If it doesn't there is another way. Pull the emblem, then drill a hold down thru both metal layers and you can stick a screwdriver down there and push on the latch itself. That's what I did when rear ended on vacation one time and I had to get in. It would be technically less secure now, but once the emblem is back on it's unlikely someone would try. Apparently it was enough of a problem on E24s they came with a carriage bolt right there so you couldn't easily drill thru.
Mike W.

T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Thank you, as usual, for your prompt suggestions. I have a spare trunk assembly to see and understand the concept and workings. The '79 635 lid even has a hole drilled in it, dead center, finger diameter. So far I am not seeing any avenue straight down to use a screwdriver, any tool to work the latch more than the button.

No big deal, it's only, " Weird things happen." Persistence vs. stupid stuff. I can't help wondering how the BMW engineer designers made a solid steel box, no access what so ever, with a latch that can adjust to not open.

Long shot thought if it looks like bending, damaging sheet metal is on tap : Drill out the lock button and replace it.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

You would be working the actual hook of the latch. It is capable of more travel, but the button only goes in so far. It works, I know, I've done it. :D
Mike W.

T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Please do not translate this entry as argumentative. The lock, latch is in my 633, a slightly different design than E12, enough to negate your solution from working. Frustrating, as you'd have to see it to believe it.

Swinging for the fences, has anyone attempted drilling out the lock cylinder ? The solution does not appear to be easy, even for a lock smith. Every potential for the drill bit to spin the innards,... etc.

The fact the lock can adjust, stick shut with no remedy, access for opening is way off the wall.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Should circumstances require replacing, adjusting the trunk latch, put a friend in the trunk with a suitable light and 10 mm wrench, box or socket.

The alternative invites massive ridiculous gyrations to open it.