Driver's floor pan rust and carpet dyeing

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Hogzip

Driver's floor pan rust and carpet dyeing

Post by Hogzip »

In the process of removing my carpet to clean it and dye it, I found that there is significant rust in the driver's floor pan (not sure that is the right term; its the area underneath the driver's feet. I'm assuming I need to have a body shop cut out the rusted area and weld in some fresh metal, but I'm wondering how others have handled this problem. HELP!!

Back to the carpet - I've got beige carpet, which was very dirty and faded in several spots (e.g top of transmission tunnel), and I pulled it out to clean it and re-dye it in the original color. It cleaned up OK. As I looked into dyeing it, and did a little research; supposedly automotive carpet can be dyed if it is nylon or wool. Thinking the stock E12 carpet was nylon I got excited. But the company I went to order dye from (Americolordyes - which has an automotive line) - said the carpet could not be dyed. Their test was taking a small piece of carpet/carpet fibers and soaking it in bleach; if it turns white it can be dyed, if not it can't. My carpet sample stayed the original color; they said it wouldn't take dye.

Has anyone had any experience in dyeing or otherwise restoring color in E12 carpets?

Alternately, since OEM carpets are basically NLA (other than Farngruen), has anyone used a good source of new aftermarket carpets?
Appreciate your input,

Brian Younger
262-672-0733; brian@youngersolutions.com
Hound Dog
528i-1981

Re: Driver's floor pan rust and carpet dyeing

Post by 528i-1981 »

There are aerosol coatings that might work where dyes don't. I have no experience with them but a company called SEM makes one.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Open the sunroof ( If fitted ) to see the drain holes in the front corners. Use a coat hanger or wire to check the steel tubes are clean. Raise the car, remove the wheels and inner fender plates to see the black rubber tubes that extend from the upper steel tubes to holes out the bottom of the body. The rust in the floor you are dealing with was probably caused by these sunroof drains not working properly.

Any rust you see is generally at work throughout the car. 1976, early '80's, rust proofing was not great. Today, keep in mind the best way to spend ten grand on an E12 that might fetch $2500 on Ebay is on body work.

Employing a body shop to cut out, fabricate, replace, patch,... is going to be large money. Plus removing the seat(s), carpet, padding, dealing with the sound proofing coating is labor intensive.

Is the rust through the floor(s) ? Holes ?

Usually any good local auto upholstery shop has many sources for carpet.

Make it a hobby quest, your own reasons, keeping the car, maybe,... patch the rust with fiberglass mat ? Or get some nice floor mats and just drive the car. Keep your eyes out for one that is rust free.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

528i-1981 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:23 am There are aerosol coatings that might work where dyes don't. I have no experience with them but a company called SEM makes one.
SEM products are generally very good. I haven't done it on carpet that gets used regularly, but I have used it on the package shelf which I believe is the same carpeting, but not subject to the same wear and tear. And it works well there.

Fixing the rust? Welding is the only fix.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

You might also check the availability of carpet for the E28. Seems like I recall reading some posts where E28 carpet was swapped into the E12. Mid sections of the two cars are very similar.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Robert Bondi wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 am You might also check the availability of carpet for the E28. Seems like I recall reading some posts where E28 carpet was swapped into the E12. Mid sections of the two cars are very similar.
True, I've got an 85 E28 carpet in my 80 528i. Not perfect, but it does indeed fit. 79 and earlier cars would be more of a problem as they didn't have the same seat base on the passenger side as the drivers side and later cars.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter