'81 windscreen wipers

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

'81 windscreen wipers

Post by T.Hanson »

Thinking the loose wipers only needed the big hex nuts tightened,... ha ha, pretty funny.

Lets check the parts view to see the stack of spacers, rubbers, grabbers, pivots, clips and dingleberries,... the engineers came up with to improve the sluggo '79 set up,... that hasn't come loose.
cory58

Re: '81 windscreen wipers

Post by cory58 »

You need the rubber dampers. Replaced mine earlier this year. Well worth the few $$$ and minor effort. I also looked at the parts diagram and said, "Holy cow," but it was really simple to figure it out while taking them apart.

Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Did you order the damper ring(s) from a BMW factory parts source or fool around matching the pieces at local auto parts / hardware stores ?

Without specifics it seems like the pieces are not that custom,...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

T.Hanson wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 pm Did you order the damper ring(s) from a BMW factory parts source or fool around matching the pieces at local auto parts / hardware stores ?

Without specifics it seems like the pieces are not that custom,...
Maybe or maybe not custom, but try finding what is essentially a grommet with those specs.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
cory58

Post by cory58 »

I bought the correct BMW part. Everyone has a different philosophy, but how is it not worth it to pay $7.00 for the OE parts that you know will fit on the first try? Part # 61 61 1 353 754. About $3.50 each.
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
brotherhay

Post by brotherhay »

I just ran into this same issue a few weeks back and replaced these rubber dampers just yesterday. The orignals just turned into a crumby mess and fell right out.

If you try to just tighten the nuts down from the outside, youll snap your spindle, trust me on that one, LOL. New spindle ordered.

But after all that jackin around with the wipers, when I pulled the motor out, you can see its easily servicable to clean the brushes out. I would suggest doing just that. The high speed on my wipers actually dogs out, and is slower than the low speed. So after the spindle comes in, time to tear it all out again, and then this time, clean the brushes on the wiper motor. Many say its just the linkages that need greasing, but I think its a 50/50 shot. Grease linkages AND clean motor brushes, if youre up to it.
brotherhay

Post by brotherhay »

after breaking a post in the wiper assembly and ordering a new one, I finally got this fixed today.

The main issue from what Ive seen isnt the wiper assembly being gummed up, its the worm screw/gear mechanism that the wiper motor drives thats the issue.

I pulled the can off the wiper motor and the brushes and commutator looked fine. after that, the shaft turns a big gear thats contained under the white plastic of the wiper motor. Two flat head screws, and a bunch of clips on the edge and it comes right off. Pull the ring off the shaft from the other side of the gear and it will all slide right out. You will find 40 yr old grease all gummed up in there.

Wipe that all out, reapply something better, I just went with white lithium, then put it back together. This is the first time Ive seen the high speed setting actually be faster than the slow speed. Id say for sure that would be more of the culprit than anything else to help speed up the movement of your wipers.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Final report from a boomer. Age adjusted definition to now mean fall down and go boom. Curious if any of the six current members posting are kids, less than 60.
Time goes by. I am aware my Vintage friends belonging to Vintage Truck, Motorcycle, hot Rod clubs are in the same situations. Eventually (kids ?) younger have no memories, emotional ties to stage coaches. When the membership in the club drops to the old members, the office of the President becomes a large pain.
I wish this old clubhouse still featured the FAC's, photos, Cars of the month. Easy wishing, as in no, I neither have the knowledge necessary to run a website or interest in learning. Screw me.
Wiperwise, I would have enjoyed watching the line workers install the ridiculous assembly, plus fan motor, covers. Three weeks of finding silly little parts, no longer available, having to make the correct number ordered, wrong part delivered,...close enough, make it work...
We won. Everything works, updated, just fine.

Skip the high fives. It wasn't fun it was stupid.
cory58

Post by cory58 »

At 51 years old, I haven't been called a "kid" in a while. Thank you - made my day!
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

One year later. Do we have a source for the large hex nuts that have the collar ring on one side ?

The ring is important for the top black plastic shaft cover to snap over.
Lock

Post by Lock »

For what it's worth I'm in my 30s. But my e12 is a mutt, it has a bunch of different chassis parts and bad paint but it's tough it has never broken down. It just doesn't look as neat or original as most current posters.

But no, I don't know where to get the hex nut. After I dug a mouse and nest out of the intake a few months ago I cleaned and greased everything and just skipped the rubbers and bits.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

I bought all the pieces from the dealer last year including the hex nut. Mine were loose and I found that part #15 "damper ring" had deteriorated. Replaced it and problem solved!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_0863
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck