1980 528i Speaker replacements

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

brotherhay

1980 528i Speaker replacements

Post by brotherhay »

I prefer a car thats original, and began to look for speaker replacements for the tinny/broken cone speakers that are in the car. They are a very shallow speaker, the fronts being a bit more deep than the rears.

I have found a few people talking about mounting depths. I was able to fit some Rockford Fosgates in the front, they seem to fit nice, and were a full depth of 2.3 inches.

Unfortunately, these do not fit in the rear. They stick out at least 3/4 inch above the back deck, just looks stupid. I refuse to cut into the metal to make room for $50 speakers

So I come here, in hopes that someone is aware of some speakers that will fit. I checked Crutchfield, and they offer nothing that will fit, so theres no reference there. I was able to find someone that said the Alpine SPS-406s will fit in the rear. These are older/outdated speakers, and they want $110 shipped on ebay. Im really hoping someone knows of a few kinds that will fit, that are of a decent quality
528i-1981

Re: 1980 528i Speaker replacements

Post by 528i-1981 »

Alpine SPS-406 coaxial 2-way speakers will fit in the rear deck. I found some on eBay for about $50. They don't come with grilles and may ride too high for the OEM ones, so you'll need to work around that. I found some E28 covers for a Blaupunkt speaker that fit nicely and looks period. Good luck!
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual