Sport Shock Options

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

528i-1981

Re: Sport Shock Options

Post by 528i-1981 »

Also wherever you buy them be sure to ask for the plastic rings that fits around the strut housing. They're used to match the diameter of the bellows to the housing. The instructions say they're included but were absent in both sets I purchased.
True that. I received two sets of B6 i from different suppliers this week, and all were missing the plastic ring. Thanks for the heads up, I can get the rings before planning the installation. I wrote to Mr. Ritchie at Bilstein USA/ThyssenKrupp for advice and will post any useful info.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

True that. I received two sets of B6 i from different suppliers this week, and all were missing the plastic ring. Thanks for the heads up, I can get the rings before planning the installation. I wrote to Mr. Ritchie at Bilstein USA/ThyssenKrupp for advice and will post any useful info.
Mr Ritchie replied and said that the boot was redesigned About 8-10 years ago and does not require the plastic ring any longer, but that the install sheet had not been updated. Glad to hear that but damn, update that sheet. It’s not ambiguous about needing that ring! Anyway he sent a picture of the redesigned unit, which has a black boot and ships with a poly cord strap compressing it. PM me if you want to see it.

The notion that there are 8-10-year-old NOS Bilstein B6 strut cartridges extant seems doubtful after waiting 7 months for these! But if swapping in used units you may still need the rings.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

The Bilstein mother ship in Ennepetal confirms no plastic ring used on 34-003268 strut inserts:

>>>>>
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the email and the interest in our products.

The note in the mounting instruction is only for a few BMW cartridges
with plastic ring. In the delivery of the mentioned strut insert there is
no plastic ring.

Don’t hesitate to contact us for further information.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Bilstein Info
>>>>>
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

My guess is that Mr. Ritchie’s reply is from the comfort of his office chair and sourced from several generations old electronic documents. Maybe that boot fits some strut housing for another application but not the e12 I own. The inner diameter of the boot is significantly larger than the outer diameter of the strut housing. I halved some 3/8” fuel line to wrap around the strut housing and it worked quite nicely but I would have much rather have the correct plastic ring. Bilstein used to supply the tool to remove and the secure the lock ring with strut purchases but have cheaped out on that as well.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
cory58

Post by cory58 »

In planning for the rebuild of my front shocks I realized that it will be a major pain to keep the E12 stationary for an undetermined period time while Bilstein works their magic. I don't need to drive the car, just move it around in the shop. Best idea I can come up with is to find a set of junk shocks and put them on. Anyone have a better idea? If not, does anyone have a pair of junk shocks they'd like to part with (temporarily or permanently)? I am obviously willing to pay for shipping + hassle factor.

Thanks, Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)