1976 BMW 530i "Eleanor" rebuild project

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

keehn

Re: 1976 BMW 530i "Eleanor" rebuild project

Post by keehn »

I got some good work in today.

As I mentioned previously, the alternator/power steering bracket bolt hole that connects to the oil pan was no longer aligned, due to the windage tray and two oil pan gaskets. I drilled out a hole, starting with a small pilot hole and moving to the next bigger bit until the bottom of the bracket was wide enough to accommodate the oil pan bolt.

Perfect! 8)

It looks a bit goofy, but fortunately, it is not a structural bolt (belt rotates clockwise, therefore opposed force would press the bracket into the oil pan).

I was able to source a NOS "Jules Verne" cold air valve online. This valve was NOT cheap either! I think I paid close to $400.00 bucks for it :roll: . However, it was the only valve I could find, so beggars can't be choosers.

I mentioned the corroded hose connectors in my last post, I am still waiting for fresh replacements from Latvia. However, USPS is taking FOREVER to deliver anything! :x

Regardless, I now have the first accessory installed. Now that the bracket is fastened, I can begin installing the accessories (minus the A/C compressor of course). I plan to remove the P/S pump and replace the lines, so I'll install the pump on the engine while it's still on the stand.

I think I mentioned this mod previously but I replaced as much of the rubber fuel hoses with CuNi (Copper Nickel) lines. I don't trust steel (rusts, obviously) and I've read nothing but great things about CuNi hard lines, so I decided to install them here. Everywhere there is a rubber hose, there's maybe...a 1/4" gap between the injector and the CuNi line.

This was a mod I wanted to do ever since I bought Eleanor. I just don't trust the excessive use of rubber hoses that BMW installed from the factory, there's just too high a risk of fuel to eventually drip and possibly cause a fire.

I decided to retain the original metal fuel lines as they were in great condition, and I didn't feel like bending and brazing CuNi lines to the degrees that the original lines are.

Here's the cold air valve with all the sensors installed. Hopefully this photo will help someone out there.

I began reconnecting the black sensor wires, and this is where my numerous photos come in handy. I was able to look back to see which wire goes where. The white harness will be much easier, but the black harness has quite a few single female blade connectors that could easily be mis-wired.

Obviously, not all of the black wires can get connected with the engine on the stand. For example, a couple of the connectors shown here connect to the ignition coil.

Test-fitting the log and runners to verify clearance of the fuel rail. Everything looks great!

I began the process of bending CuNi line for the cold injector. The marks are where I need to cut and flare. Unfortunately, my flaring tool was at my new house, so I couldn't complete this until I get that set.

I was surprised to find that the "Jules Verne" bracket didn't line up with the #3 intake runner. So I notched it out and it now fits just fine.

Another important project that I need to finish on Eleanor is to replace the windshield and rear window gaskets. The existing gaskets have hardened and honestly, is a major eyesore, so I've been looking forward to this project for a while now.

Here, I'm carefully removing the metal corner piece. I found that I needed to gouge out the rubber around it, and I could slide the trim piece (silver line) upwards, allowing me to carefully slide the corner piece back off the bottom metal trim.

This is the backside of the corner piece. Note how the edges are curved inwards, this allows the corner piece to grip on the black rubber. The large section of this piece however, slides over the lower metal trim piece.

Just be patient and these metal pieces will come off with little difficulty. The secret is to cut the black rubber away from the corners and carefully wiggle the piece off the bottom metal trim. Also, the plastic silver trim pulls upward.

With the corner piece removed, it's easier to see the metal trim piece that it slides onto (the dirty section of the large bottom metal trim).

It's likely the age of Eleanor, but pulling the silver trim off was crazy easy. I gently pulled backwards and upwards and it came free.

The next step will require a sharp knife, which I didn't have when doing this, so I'll bring a box cutter with replacement blades with me next time.

As always, MTF.

Mike
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Hey Keehn, I just realized you have M10 intake runners. Going back to your January 2020 photos, it looks like the previous owner swapped them in. That could be why your Jules Verne bracket didn't fit exactly?
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Would love to see your progress but the photos ar eno longer working :cry:
http://drive4corners.com
1980 635CSi
1985 535i
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Very good progress here Mike. I'm wondering what made you decide to get a new AAV? I assume the cleaning didn't make the old one function properly? I suspect mine isn't working properly either . I noticed in your pic the shape of the opening is a different shape than the one in my car

Heres the one that I have:

Looks like BMW changed that part or something
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Great pics. The restoration is coming along nicely. If you need any small bits and miscellaneous parts I may be able to help you out.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

maybeillbuyit wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:43 pm Very good progress here Mike. I'm wondering what made you decide to get a new AAV? I assume the cleaning didn't make the old one function properly? I suspect mine isn't working properly either . I noticed in your pic the shape of the opening is a different shape than the one in my car

They may have changed them, but 530's used a different one than 528's.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Mike W. wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:06 pm
maybeillbuyit wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:43 pm Very good progress here Mike. I'm wondering what made you decide to get a new AAV? I assume the cleaning didn't make the old one function properly? I suspect mine isn't working properly either . I noticed in your pic the shape of the opening is a different shape than the one in my car

They may have changed them, but 530's used a different one than 528's.

Yes that could be it. Thx Mike
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
keehn

Post by keehn »

It's taken quite some time, but I'm getting a 30' x 60' garage built! As I've stated before, the existing "garage" is little more than a utility shed, and does nothing to protect from the elements, much less allow me to work on Eleanor. To make matters worse, the floor is sloped, making any sort of jacking impossible and dangerous.

This Thursday and Friday, the actual garage is going up. It will be 16' tall, so I can install a two-post car lift and bring Eleanor and all my other car projects to a new level!

Haven't been on in a little while, but I wanted to share this, mainly to let everyone know the Eleanor project is FAR from dead.

Mike
keehn

Post by keehn »

tschultz wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am Would love to see your progress but the photos ar eno longer working :cry:
I'm personally hosting the photos on my own web server, so there shouldn't be any issues. They are working fine on my end. Perhaps clear the cache in your browser and try again?

Mike
keehn

Post by keehn »

Heres the one that I have:

No, not a different part. The inner cylinder wasn't fully rotated into position, hence the odd look :wink:

I decided to get a new "Verne valve" because when I pressed the old one apart, it created deep scores on the inner cylinder wall, and I'm just not confident in its ability to seal anymore.

Mike
keehn

Post by keehn »

canada karl wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:30 am Great pics. The restoration is coming along nicely. If you need any small bits and miscellaneous parts I may be able to help you out.
Thanks Karl, I appreciate the gesture. All of my parts are still strewn 6 ways from Sunday here at the new house. EVERYTHING has been waiting for me to save up for and build a proper garage, which is now soon to be a reality.

The next few updates will likely be me epoxying the new garage floor and running temporary power to the garage. Once the epoxy dries, Eleanor will move into her new home!

Mike
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Congrats on the new Temple to Eleanor. At the speed you work, you'll be wrenching by February. Good to hear from you. -Eric
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
keehn

Post by keehn »

Thanks Eric. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but there's a lot more to be done to the garage before I can start wrenching on Eleanor.

That being said, the garage structure is COMPLETE!!!

If you notice, the garage is white and blue...I wonder what logo has white and blue in it :wink: ?

It's my subtle way of bringing BMW colors (even if the blue isn't the exact shade) to Eleanor's "temple" :lol:

Next project is to put up reflective insulation on the interior. Steel buildings are known for their condensation issues and reflective insulations will abate this issue. I can then install either rock wool or standard insulation on the interior side of the reflective insulation.

But...I still can't move Eleanor in just yet. The concrete was poured late December, thus, in cold weather, concrete takes longer to set up and solidify. I want to avoid any issues, thus Eleanor won't be moved in until at least late February.

MTF

Mike
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Now THAT is a garage. Looks like you could fit a semi cab in there without much worry. When Eleanor's done you can practice some drifting INSIDE.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Absolutely marvelous!

Looks like a playground in the making. :shock:
You have enough room for another small shop AND a nice garden.

Kudos!! :P