Engine block paint / coating recommendations?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

keehn

Engine block paint / coating recommendations?

Post by keehn »

Hello everyone!

So, I am currently removing rust from my engine block (check out my "Eleanor" rebuild thread for details) and I am researching types and methods of engine block coatings.

I'm curious what fellow fivers used for their blocks? Or if there's anyone here that knows of a product that they swear by. I'm looking to restore my block back to BMW black, so color choice is easy (lol).

I've looked at cerakote, but opinions vary online about the ceramic coating retaining heat within the block. Yes, I will be using cerakote on the piston tops to reduce heat soak into the conrods. I'm looking to use it on the intake runners as well, to protect against heat soak, and on the exhaust manifold...for obvious reasons.

Or, (for engine block) should I be falling back to mainstream products, like rustoleum?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Champie12

Re: Engine block paint / coating recommendations?

Post by Champie12 »

On my 74 2002 I just brush painted the block with a can of normal black rustoleum non-latex paint. Something that said it was good with metal. 5 years later and the block still looks great!
janusz200

Post by janusz200 »

blok-malowanie_02.jpg
blok-malowanie_10.jpg
I’ve removed an old paint with circular wire brushes on grinder. Before this I’ve protected bloc’s top and bottom and all wholes to avoid the dust. Next I’ve sprayed the cover lids with zinc paint from the shop around the corner. Next the rest of block I’ve painted with brush - you can see thin strips left. I’ve used acrylic-urethane paint from my local market ( I’m not from US).
As you see I had not made the phd thesis on this.
Attachments
blok-malowanie_09.jpg
Last edited by janusz200 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
janusz200

Post by janusz200 »

The rest of photos
Attachments
blok-malowanie_26.jpg
Magic L letter
Magic L letter
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Looks great. I did the same to my engine block when I had the intake off. although looks like you did a perfect job removing the rust and old paint. I just removed the worst and covered it up with paint. Nice job
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi