Motor Mounts

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Motor Mounts

Post by canada karl »

How difficult is it to change the motor mounts? Any advice appreciated.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
keehn

Re: Motor Mounts

Post by keehn »

Karl,

With the correct equipment, it's not too bad to change the mounts. You will need a floor jack to raise and a engine suspension bar to keep the engine in place.

Also, I would suggest removing both mount nuts from the top beforehand. Of course, place a block of wood or other non-marring material between the jack and the oil pan to distribute the load and not damage the pan. After you raise either side, use the engine suspension bar to ensure the engine remains stable, and to prevent your hand from becoming the new motor mount, should it slip off the floor jack!

Mike
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for the info Mike. :)
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Ditto on Mike's input. This is one of several seemingly hard jobs that can be done if you got some extra jacks on hand and are careful. For supporting the engine, I like using some cinder blocks and have a lot of wood on hand. The wood helps on spreading the pressure from the jack, but it's also useful to have a stash of relatively thin pieces to shim your engine just right - get just the right spacer(s) with stacks of particle board, plywood, etc....

Be careful when jacking the engine up - shouldn't need to be more than an inch from its native position. Crushing the transmission into the drive shaft tunnel and other problems are possible.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for the info Robert. :) Are there still E12's at the wreckers in Austin Texas?
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

canada karl wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 am Thanks for the info Robert. :) Are there still E12's at the wreckers in Austin Texas?
No, not that I know of. It's getting pretty sad.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528