Noisy lifter...ticking sound?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Noisy lifter...ticking sound?

Post by canada karl »

The car hasn't been run in quite awhile so maybe a good run might solve a sticking lifter or adjustment problem. Does the E12 engine have lifters or mechanical? I have a stethoscope so i should be able to isolate the ticking. Might just be a valve needing adjustment. Is top end lubricant worth a try? Any thoughts? I realize a certain amount of valve noise is common on these engines.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
keehn

Re: Noisy lifter...ticking sound?

Post by keehn »

Karl,

Our cars have mechanical tappets with an eccentric end that needs to be adjusted every ~ 30k miles. The clearance between the eccentric and the valve is .012" at an ambient temperature of around 70 degrees. As for "sticking" valves? No, not that I'm aware of. Because it's all mechanical, any sticking would also be mechanical....and likely damaging to your engine :wink:

Your question is quite topical for me, as I just finished adjusting my valves yesterday for Eleanor. I'll post pics of the job here shortly.

Mike
keehn

Post by keehn »

Karl,

...I was thinking more on your ticking noises and maybe your oil rail banjo bolt is loose? Check both banjo bolts and verify that they are tight. If not, then remove them, replace the copper crush washers, put some red locktite on the threads, and tighten them back up snugly.

Before applying locktite however, clean the threads, both on the bolt and the oil channel with some degreaser and a Q-tip. Locktite won't bond correctly on an oiled surface. Also, don't drive the car for 24 hours after applying locktite; this allows it to fully cure.

Mike
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for the info Mike. The ticking seems to be from one spot in particular. I'll pull the cover and have a look. I'll check those banjo bolts while I'm in there.
Karl
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Likely the rocker closest to the firewall. Some mechanics have crimped the oilrail at the midpoint to force better oil distribution - I think you can find that on an E34 board somewhere, if memory serves. I would definitely take out and clean the banjo bolts and rail as Mike describes any time the valve cover comes or 30K miles, whichever happens first, and adjust the eccentrics. Also, do not reuse the crush washers - just order new ones now to fight off the temptation. Merely adjusting the eccentrics will lessen the noise. Mike just included this process in his latest Eleanor update with a nice color-coded picture! Thanks Mike!
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
keehn

Post by keehn »

You're welcome Eric :)

Here's the modification to the oil bar in question. The guy also put photos in the writeup to show exactly how to do this.

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/spray_bar_fix/70590.html

....I'm going to do this myself! Thank you Eric for the heads-up!

Mike
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Yep that's it. E9, E34, what's a few generations? Still the M30. Hat tip to Lock, who sent this to me during my top-end refresh.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Who sells those crush washers?
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

BMW p/n 11 42 1 252 343

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSe ... 421252343/

You can find them lots of places.

There are also some useful articles and videos about the process, particularly achieving proper camshaft position for each valve:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenan ... am-engine/

I found the Hack Mechanic article's camshaft lobe positioning approach using the "companion cylinder" to be easier than using the dial indicator described in the video. But I found the video helpful otherwise.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for the info. :D
keehn

Post by keehn »

canada karl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 pm Who sells those crush washers?
I bought a set of various sized copper washers from Amazon. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/OwnMy-280Pcs-Was ... hi&sr=1-13

This set has virtually every copper crush washer size needed for our engines.

Mike
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

I wonder about that modification to the oiler bar. Seems to me if you were to compress it a bit too much with the sockets in the vice you would cut off the oil supply completely? Is the whole idea to narrow the pipe thus increasing the speed of the oil flow so it goes farther to reach the first valve area?
keehn

Post by keehn »

Karl,

If you remove both banjo bolts, you'll see the camshaft directly underneath, and the feed oil channel drilled in from the side. Both of these oil channels are one-way, and the nozzles in the oiler bar are the only way for oil to escape this one-way passage (aside from the lubrication the camshaft receives at these two points).

Having torn through my M30 block throughout the Eleanor rebuild, it is apparent that the valve train oil return is merely gravity-fed back into the crankcase; there are no dedicated channels (other than bearing clearances) that force oil back into the crankcase.

Remember, the oil pump only provides volume. The smaller passages produce pressure. It's akin to running a garden hose with no kinks, this is volume. Once you put your thumb over the outlet, you just created pressure, causing the water to spray, versus pour out.

Crimping the oil bar makes perfect sense, because each banjo bolt feed no longer has to support the other, hence, increasing pressure. We are effectively, putting more thumbs on the water hose outlet. In my situation, because I put more load on the oil pressure spring, I should see higher pressure at idle, so perhaps, crimping the oiler bar wasn't necessary. Regardless, I have done the mod, and, should there be any adverse issues, then I'll need to eat crow and create another rebuild thread :lol:

Mike
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Mike What did you do to put more load on the oil pressure spring to increase oiling at idle?
Karl
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Mike What did you do to put more load on the oil pressure spring to increase oiling at idle?
Karl