steering lock - removal with out a key

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

garyinwestoz

steering lock - removal with out a key

Post by garyinwestoz »

I might be a be bit thick about this - dunno, but I discovered something today about the steering lock barrel.

I don't have a key for the spare parts car - a 79 529i auto and is steering is locked.

Therefore to be able to move it I need to unlock the steering column.

so I pulled the whole column assembly out
and proceeded to take the thing apart
which included the 4 shear bolts - which took some time with a cold chisel. but alas got them out

Under the steering shaft, is the cut out for the the lock barrel, that has a has a protruding knub. Typically the key turns to e certain position to make this knub retreat, so you can slide the barrel out.

I simply pressed it in with the end of my socket extension bar, and then at the same time pushed the other end of the barrel with my fingers till it was withdrawn from its home.

Looking at the barrel, I realised that the end where the ignition switch fits, is a shaft with ears, which can be rotated with a pair of long nose pliers such that the locking mechanism withdraws.

Now how you go about getting a pair of pliers in there, turn and push whilst the steering columns is still in the the car - is well, anyones guess, but it maybe possible and save the effort of removing the steering column.

Hope this helps
74 525 auto
76 525 - 4 speed, LPG and holley carb- restoring
77 528i- 4 speed manual
77 528i -4 speed manual getting rusty
79 528i auto - a SA car?
80 528i auto - ready to relicense
81 528i +3.5ltr - auto - restoring
86 525e 5 speed manual- dd