Need some electrical help...turn signal flasher indicator.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Need some electrical help...turn signal flasher indicator.

Post by canada karl »

When I use the turn signal I can hear the flasher ticking but the turn signal indicator on the dash only blinks once then not at all?
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Robert Bondi

Re: Need some electrical help...turn signal flasher indicator.

Post by Robert Bondi »

It sounds like the relay under the dash is working, at least partially. Are the external turn signals actually flashing as well, which
is more important the the indicator bulb?
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Robert: The external turn signal lights are flashing. Up here in Canada they are so fussy you have to have every light functioning ,including the indicator light ,or it will not pass the "Safety" inspection to car to allow your car on the road. I have a feeling that the problem has something to do with the Hazard switch. The hazard switch is functioning when the red button is pressed and the appropriate lights flash. Seeing as how the turn signal switch and the hazard switch both work off the same flasher unit I'm thinking the issue lies in that area. I did have the hazard switch out last year to fix the typical issue of the hazard flasher staying on. Is the system set up so that the green indicator light somehow shuts off when the hazard light comes on? Any thoughts?
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

I know when I put led lights in they would not flash. I had to have a regular bulb on each side to get it to flash. Must be a pull up thing.
Mo Brighta

Post by Mo Brighta »

Did you ever get this fixed?

The same thing happens in 2002 flasher relays, very common. I had to remove and disassemble the relay to diagnose and repair.
The relay had separate internal contacts for the signal bulbs and the indicator bulb. They were pulled in by the coil action, but I had to bend the contact for the indicator so it also closed with the bigger (high wattage) contact.

This repair is rather fussy, a little bending goes a long way... and you do NOT want the indicator to light but not the turn signal bulbs. The force is very low to close the contacts, you may not be able to get it perfect... maybe an aftermarket relay (four pin at least, I think) should do it.
Andy, the tail light guy, says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!
High Performance Lighting for E12 fives, and lots of other cars.
Tail Light Improvements to keep them off your tail. XPel headlight protection film to protect forward lighting.