Paging Mike and Robert Bondi

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Paging Mike and Robert Bondi

Post by canada karl »

:D Do either of you have any idea why the turn signal "green indicator light" would flash along with the red hazard light when the hazard button is pressed but will not flash when the turn signal is on? I'm sure it looks like a minor problem but the car cannot be "Safetied " or insured unless this light is functioning properly believe it or not. Electrical is not my strong point Any input appreciated.
Thanks Karl
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Re: Paging Mike and Robert Bondi

Post by Mike W. »

Trying to remember, but I think your onto something with the emergency flasher switch. IIRC on my last E12 it was a little wonky with the turn signals, but when I changed the flasher switch all was well. Seems like I would get dash indication for one side, but not for the other, but a used switch out of the parts box fixed it. Now I think it was a switch I'd repaired and perhaps I'd bent the arm back too far and it wasn't in the right position. Or maybe the 40 year old contacts weren't making good contact.

So a soft confirmation of I think you're right on the 4 way switch.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks Mike I did not think of repairing the actual switch. Other than cleaning the contacts what else can be repaired once the cover has been removed? Are new switches like this still available?
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

It's actually a common failure point, but the usual is for the aluminum arm to be bent back so much the switch is always on and won't turn off. There is a FAQ on it, http://firstfives.org/faq/hazard_switch ... r_fix.html You could also ohm out the switch to see what is supposed be making contact under which conditions. I probably bent the arm back too much on my last repair.

Last I knew new switches were still available, surprisingly.
Mike W.

canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Wonder why the hazard lights don't have their own flasher unit? I'll try to ohm out the switch only I'm not sure of the process. What kind of ohm meter readings am I looking for that would indicate no power to to the green turn signal light? Actually the green indicator light will blink one time then stop when the lever is activated???? Quite a puzzle. Thanks again for your help.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

You would need to figure out which contacts are supposed to be made when the switch is off. Desired resistance would be either near zero or infinity. But the flasher probably isn't the problem, it's all the connections that are made and broken in the two different states of the switch. On a Bavaria long, long ago I had the same problem. Thinking it was the flasher I even replaced the transistor in the flasher that drives the coil for the indicator light, thinking it was the problem. No change.
Mike W.

Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Hey Karl,

I think Mike W. already covered all your questions in more detail than I could have.

I will confirm that the hazard switches are still available new - both the U.S. and Euro version.
I'm not sure which you guys use in Canada. I similarly needed to do an inspection and had the
hazards always on situation. I keep getting surprised how different some of the Euro parts are. IIRC, the
Euro switch actually has a different number of terminals on the back than the U.S., so it's immediately
obvious it's a different part.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for your input guys. 8)
tlake

Post by tlake »

canada karl wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am Thanks for your input guys. 8)
The flasher relay unit for the e12 can still be bought new, I just got one as a spare. Pete at Jaymic can supply you with one, here's the email:

enquiries@jaymic.com
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Thanks for the info. 8)