Throttle Switch Adjustment Problem

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

SteveinSLC

Throttle Switch Adjustment Problem

Post by SteveinSLC »

Last night I attempted the Throttle Body Adjustment procedure on my 1977 530i. As I was down to the end of the adjustment I discovered that I have the single throttle switch instead of the dual switch setup that the document had. I read through some other information in my Chilton book I found that I could measure the three contacts on the single connector to measure the resistance. The closed throttle position read correct with an almost zero resistance, but when I open the throttle all the way on, I did not measure any resistance on the other contact. Does this mean my switch is bad?

I am trying to resolve a lurching and a bogged down problem. (lost its zip) :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Re: Throttle Switch Adjustment Problem

Post by Peter Florance »

SteveinSLC wrote:Last night I attempted the Throttle Body Adjustment procedure on my 1977 530i. As I was down to the end of the adjustment I discovered that I have the single throttle switch instead of the dual switch setup that the document had. I read through some other information in my Chilton book I found that I could measure the three contacts on the single connector to measure the resistance. The closed throttle position read correct with an almost zero resistance, but when I open the throttle all the way on, I did not measure any resistance on the other contact. Does this mean my switch is bad?

I am trying to resolve a lurching and a bogged down problem. (lost its zip) :(

Steve
It could be dirty. Pop the cover off and watch how it works. Very fine sandpaper VERY lightly stroked can clean off any oxides, once you verify the contacts are physically closing at WOT. But that only gives you the extra fuel when you floor it.

You should check the entire throttle body adjustment, leaving the switch adjustment for last.

Note if you've upgraded fuel injection to 528i style, your old throttle switch won't work that well.
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yes, but in my experience the WOT (wide open throttle) isn't really that important, it doesn't seem to make much difference. If you can pop the cover off, and I think you can on those, clean it up as Peter mentioned, but don't sweat it if you can't.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
SteveinSLC

Post by SteveinSLC »

Any ideas on the lurching and bogged down feeling?
I have done the Throttle adjustment along with a timing adjustment and also replaced all the spark plugs.

Steve
1977 530i
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Post by Peter Florance »

SteveinSLC wrote:Any ideas on the lurching and bogged down feeling?
I have done the Throttle adjustment along with a timing adjustment and also replaced all the spark plugs.

Steve
sticky or worn airflow meter

feel the door for any binding.

Also back-probe terminal 7 on AFM connector (pull boot back to expose connector shell) with voltmeter. Slowly push the door open and look for any drop-outs off-idle.
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org