Getrag 262 vs. 265 input seals

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Robert Bondi

Getrag 262 vs. 265 input seals

Post by Robert Bondi »

I've been living with a pesky leak from the input shaft area on a rebuilt Getrag 265 for years. I've put Redline in it from acquisition, so I know it's transmission oil and not engine oil from rear crankshaft seal. I replaced all the inputs seals once and it made no difference.

I've long thought the 262 and 265 were basically the same, except the 265 has an extra section on the rear for the 5th gear. Maybe not so. Comparing parts for the two on realeom.com, it seems the 265 only uses a single shaft seal on the input, while the 262 has a shaft seal, o-ring, and a flat gasket under the front cover that all seem relevant to sealing. I'm starting to feel like I need all gaskets from both units and carefully examine what I actually have next time I'm in there.

Anyone conquered a similar problem?
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Bumping the post. There's leaking everything else threads, so I'm thinking this isn't the first.

Last time I was in there in 2008, I thought the rebuilder left off the flat gasket under the front cover, but the parts diagram doesn't show one for the Getrag 265. I added one myself, figuring it couldn't hurt. It didn't hurt, nor did it help.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Robert Bondi

transmission input seal leak

Post by Robert Bondi »

Post bump.

I replaced the front input seal again on the Getrag 265 last summer. That was good for about 2000 miles and the Redline MTL drip is back. From a conversation with an ex-BMW mechanic on this, he stressed the importance of using an anaerobic sealant and slightly shortening the tension spring in the seal to tighten it.

Anybody got any experience on this?
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Wish I could help more, but, I think the 265 is also in the early sixes?
If yes, try 'BigCoupe.com'; they're a lot busier.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Yeah, no doubt the 265 was on some of the early E24s. I ran across a nice general FAQ on the E9 site:

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/5speed/prep.html

Back in the day, other BMWs used to come to FF for information. I guess the
tables have turned. We're scratching out maybe a post a day when we're busy?
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528