anyone done window guides & weatherstripping lately?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Robert Bondi

anyone done window guides & weatherstripping lately?

Post by Robert Bondi »

My driver door manual hand crank recently broke, so I'm hitting all the restoration stuff I've put off inside the door.

I've basically sourced almost everything, except the weatherstripping materials (interior/exterior seals that hug the window bottom) for earlier E12s appear NLA.

There's a brief FAQ on this, but I believe the alternative source from Restoration Specialties only covers the guide channel material (destination for the glass as it is raised, 3 top and side edges of the trapezoid).

I believe the only difference on the new vs. old E12s on the window weather stripping is related to that triangular corner area where the later side mirrors mount. That suggests that the later weatherstripping will be a few inches shorter than what I need. I'd be happy to trim back excess material if the situation was reversed and the available parts were too long. I measured the bottom length of the driver door weatherstripping as almost 32 inches.

Since the E24 coupe should have longer doors, I wonder if a similar vintage E24 would provide as much or more weatherstripping material to work with. Perhaps a generic material would be easy to work with as long as the cross section has a good match. Any other ideas?
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Luis A.

Re: anyone done window guides & weatherstripping lately?

Post by Luis A. »

Robert Bondi wrote: I've basically sourced almost everything, except the weatherstripping materials (interior/exterior seals that hug the window bottom) for earlier E12s appear NLA.
Robert,

What makes you say they are NLA? Although I've not called the dealer to ascertain availability, my experience has been that if it shows with a price on Penskeparts.com, 98% of the time it will be available. Parts 1-6 on the diagram below are still shown as available at Penskeparts.com. I'm using realoem to post here only because it's easier to do so than Penskeparts, so disregard realoem price since it's rarely, if ever, accurate.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=40
Luis

1976 3.0 Si, Taiga
1973 3.0 CS, Golf
1966 1800, Turf
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Robert has a '77, which has the mirror on the door. For those cars, the parts in question are NLA.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=40
Luis A.

Post by Luis A. »

OK, I see. My bad. I wonder if the stuff is sufficiently fuzzy, as in my E9 and E3, such that a sharp, perfect cut with a Sears Handicut or a shear, would yield a joint which would not be all that visible. Otherwise the E24 part would be worth eyeballing to see if it's the same...
Luis

1976 3.0 Si, Taiga
1973 3.0 CS, Golf
1966 1800, Turf
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

I am in the process of doing this. My work is in progress, because I have been in a couple of my doors and added to my list of parts to get.

I have been able to get most parts, except for one. The outside of the window glass has two brushes running horizontally. The upper brush is the one that you would see and has the little apron part. That I have been able to get, as well as the new brush (if you only want to replace the brush). The inner brush/trim combo is the part that I am still trying to get. For the time being, I glued a new brush onto the old trim, but am hoping to replace it.

I am working with Maximillian to source these parts. There seems to be a bmw part number mix up on this item. At this point, I am waiting for Saul to let me know if he can get it or not.

I will try to post what I learned once I get a door completely restored.

BTW, all of these come long enough that you cut them to length. My 1980 E12 had a slightly different system, though it is not shown in either of the posted links above. It all looks confusing, until you get in the door and see what it looks like.
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Blaise,

Let us know if you end up sourcing the inside weatherstrip. I've been talking to Konrad over at Maximillian - I wasn't aware of a P/N problem which provides a sliver of hope.

I'm trying to source most stuff ahead of the project; it should be easier with the window stuff apart to ID and attack the remaining stuff.

For the front door outer weatherstrip, L and R are listed NLA; however, this is one of the bracketed items in the drawing in which the individual components (brush[51211854296] and sealing lip type[51211854295]) are actually available. In the end, the brush and "sealing lip type" also appear to be the same for the rears. That's a nice little maze of confusion to get through. As you noted, the front inner weatherstrip (51219057732) availability is still in question.

Robert
Blaise wrote: I am working with Maximillian to source these parts. There seems to be a bmw part number mix up on this item. At this point, I am waiting for Saul to let me know if he can get it or not.

I will try to post what I learned once I get a door completely restored.

BTW, all of these come long enough that you cut them to length. My 1980 E12 had a slightly different system, though it is not shown in either of the posted links above. It all looks confusing, until you get in the door and see what it looks like.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Robert Bondi

Blaise - Figure out P/N mix-up?

Post by Robert Bondi »

Blaise,

I've got the door apart and my inventory of window and door HW purchased last fall from Maximillian.

I was wondering if you ever figured out the P/N mix-up you mentioned?
I think I've run into the same thing, but I'm describing it slightly differently.

77 530i window seal and trim cross-section:

For my new parts, the "sealing lip" P/N (51211854295) produced both the plastic sealing lip and included the upper brush. Ordering the "brush" (51211854296) produced just the upper brush coiled up in a little bag - not the lower brush indicated in the realoem.com diagram.

I'd like to find the lower brush, but we don't seem to even know what the real part number is.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Here's a picture showing what the lower outer brush is supposed to be in the ETK and what that P/N actually produced.

The package shows 51-12-* instead of 51-21-*, but the 51-12-* number doesn't exist if that is looked up.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Robert Bondi wrote:Here's a picture showing what the lower outer brush is supposed to be in the ETK and what that P/N actually produced.

The package shows 51-12-* instead of 51-21-*, but the 51-12-* number doesn't exist if that is looked up.
Robert,

I went in circles for months with them trying to get the right part. Finally, they just sent me the entire aluminum carrier with the correct brushes already installed. But, they only sent me them for the rear windows.

I have about twelve of the loose brushes that you show a photo of. I stopped working on my doors when I realized that I did not have all of the right parts.

Now, I have most of the parts, except for the outside, lower brush for the front windows. I wish I could find the right part, but I don't have the time currently to keep doing the parts dance with Maximillian. I will likely tackle this in the summer and get all the doors properly restored.

Blaise
1977 BMW 530i
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

Blaise wrote:
Robert,

I went in circles for months with them trying to get the right part. Finally, they just sent me the entire aluminum carrier with the correct brushes already installed. But, they only sent me them for the rear windows.

I have about twelve of the loose brushes that you show a photo of. I stopped working on my doors when I realized that I did not have all of the right parts.

Now, I have most of the parts, except for the outside, lower brush for the front windows. I wish I could find the right part, but I don't have the time currently to keep doing the parts dance with Maximillian. I will likely tackle this in the summer and get all the doors properly restored.

Blaise
Blaise,

Thanks for the update. I guess I won't expect any help from Maximillian based on your experience.

The lower brush quest has certainly become quite the PITA.

I see about three solutions to this problem:
1. Figure out the real part number and order it - As this drags on, the answer is probably NLA on the lower brush... It is on the E21 and E3 - ETK suggests a similar part on those cars that might work if they existed.

2. Find the composite trim + weatherstrip parts for the front (-775,-776). They're also NLA, so it will have to be a random find of a NOS part somewhere.

3. Find an aftermarket substitute. I'm going to order the window channel and windlace from Restoration Specialties as the FAQ details, but the brushes are a whole new frontier. I got some brush samples from them, but nothing is very close. Their customer service help on picking something out was also totally worthless. I spent an hour taking some detailed photos of the parts to replace and couldn't get any more info from them other than sending the samples I guessed on and telling me they had ZERO input. They don't need my business - that message is clear.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Robert,

This is not the best solution, but here is what I did as a temporary solution to one of my doors.

For this inner brush, I removed the old brush material from the plastic base and glued a new one in it's place. I used the loose brush that Maximillian sent (the one you have a photo of). Not my favorite solution, but it should do the job as long as the glue holds up. Luckily, it is not exposed to UV rays.

I did order the window track and seals from restoration specialties as well. The window track works great and is damn near stock. The glass is quite tight once it is installed. The door seal on the other hand, is a more modern exposed rubber type, rather than cloth wrapped like the stock stuff. I have yet to install it. It certainly will not look stock, but I imagine that it will work great.

Blaise
1977 BMW 530i
braino

rubber is the way

Post by braino »

Hey Folks - I went over to my local BMW dealer (Weatherford - in Berkeley CA). They had the rubber scrapers from later 5-series. It's a significant upgrade. It fits into the polished trim, creates a really nice seal and actually WIPES fog, damp, rain off of the window when you open close. Even better, it doesn't deposit cottony wiper batting material into the door (which clogs the door drains and inevitably leads to rust).

The rear doors are a one piece scraper that I trimmed down to fit the width of the window (excluding the rear quarter window).

I've been VERY happy with this upgrade. It's only slightly off original but it keeps the rain out of the doors. Not to mention, I think the total cost for all the rubber scrapers was $40? and it took about ten minutes for each window:

-remove the trim with a plastic prybar (need to remove the front mirrors)
-bend them open a bit - remove the crappy old plastic "scraper" and cotton fuzzy stuff
-install the rubber scraper into the trim and bend back gently pinching in place (used a big vice grips)

cheers,
Brian
one Alfa Romeo
One BMW - '78 E12 w/M30 3.5 Motronic
Gradually improving looks and performance :)
Robert Bondi

Re: rubber is the way

Post by Robert Bondi »

Brian,
Thanks for the post. Just to clarify, you did this on a 78 530i, but you
originally had the same two brush design of the earlier E12s? My P/N research had me convinced that the outer scraper for all 78s, later
E12s, and the E28 all came with the one piece design you describe (ETK showing a from/up to transition at 9/77 on most of this stuff).

I thought about trying the route you describe, until I ended up with all but one door (passenger front) covered on the original brush setup. The other problem is the new single scraper is more exposed and will inevitably leave a seem
on the front windows since pre 1978 has door-mounted mirrors and
will require more scraper length than any cars with the window corner mirrors.

I'm still going to end up with a seam in the lower brush unless the front window part is obtained, but since the old style has the brush buried below the trim line, that seam won't be visible.

I can understand the new design being tighter and that will be yet another
contingency plan if I can't complete the original lower brush set.
braino wrote:Hey Folks - I went over to my local BMW dealer (Weatherford - in Berkeley CA). They had the rubber scrapers from later 5-series. It's a significant upgrade. It fits into the polished trim, creates a really nice seal and actually WIPES fog, damp, rain off of the window when you open close. Even better, it doesn't deposit cottony wiper batting material into the door (which clogs the door drains and inevitably leads to rust).

The rear doors are a one piece scraper that I trimmed down to fit the width of the window (excluding the rear quarter window).

cheers,
Brian
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Yes: I notice, in his signature, he owns a '78 E12.
I did the same thing on my Rosallina.
I forget what I used, but, I had to trim a lil off. It works great!
I'm thinkin' it came from Pik-A-Part, from an E28?? I say, I think! Try the websites? :idea:
Nice picture of the Wifey, Ulli & you. My Rosallina is also Polaris, but, with,
I think, from this website, style 42's with nice & medium wide Yoko's.
When I find out how to download some pictures I will. :roll: :lol:
Blaise mentioned 'Picasa' and, thanx Blaise, but,,,,,,,,! :?
Greg
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach