Options for Increasing the 3.5L Displacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

RAVC1

Options for Increasing the 3.5L Displacement

Post by RAVC1 »

All,

I recall few legitimate options for building a stroked 3.5L to install in our e12's. One of these involved parts from a Big6 engine that did not have a sound reputation (i.e., 3.5L to 3.7L) and I have been inactive for so many years here that I cannot recall the other option(s).

We really need a search function for the archives...

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rick
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

On a cheap level, relatively speaking, you can bore to 94MM and use VW pistons. Past that maybe a crank from a E34 M5, one of the 3.6 or 3.8 monsters. With custom pistons. There was that long throw crank in a few E3s, but good luck on finding one of them. Not cheap either, but for lots of HP turbo is really the only way to go.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RAVC1

Post by RAVC1 »

Mike,

Thanks for your response. I know nothing of the 94 mm bore & VW piston option so, I will spend the energy to familiarize myself with this method. Any M5 option is out and I suspect turbo charging is too primarily for 'cost of entry' arguments.

I have two 3.5L engines so utilizing these is the most practical route. I feel no need to get too esoteric but, I guess I'll need to add MegaSquirt LPG to the list of considerations. This would be involved but, rewarding.

Rick
Falkenberg

Post by Falkenberg »

RAVC1 wrote:Mike,
This would be involved but, rewarding.
Rick
Are you expecting a large improvement of megasquirt over e.g. motronic 1,3?
Or is the reason to move to megasquirt just because the 3.5 motronic can not adapt to larger displacements?

I'm asking because I have a megasquirt in the basement somewhere, but I never finished the conversion. Would it be worth the effort on a factory engine?
1961 Simson AWO sport (Brasoveanca)
1968 BMW 114 2002
1976 BMW E12 528 (Malèna)
1987 Kawasaki GPz900r
1996 Moto Guzzi V75 PA NT
RAVC1

Post by RAVC1 »

Falkenberg,

The reason for mentioning MegaSquirt was the potential use of an alternative fuel; LPG. If MegSquirt can accommodate this it would be worthwhile to pursue LPG. Options for end-users such as you and I to accomplish this conversion are minimal.

Rick
Odometergears

Post by Odometergears »

First answer is big ass turbo or even a smaller one.

TCD has a simple setup. Google turbo charging dynamics
Run his system with 8-10lbs and enjoy the 100 hp increase along with improved gas mileage.

The 90mm crank out of an S38B38 M5 engine will do you right also. This will run around 2-4K

I have some connecting rods for that crank if you can find the crank. Most people who have one know the value.

Don't bother with spending money on larger TBs. You don't get the return you want for the money.
Jeff Caplan 1981 Euro E12 3.5 M106 Block w/T4