Climate Control Panel

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Dale

Climate Control Panel

Post by Dale »

Greetings. Been a while since I have posted; motor was undergoing a "small" rebuild that took almost five years. This is the first summer I have had her back.

I am having a problem with the fan on the climate control. It will only blow on high. I know on the e28's the is a fix with a transistor replacement. Any ideas on this one?

I thought I was a genius because I have a spare panel. Unfortunately the temperature dial is cracked off inside, so it just spins and won't turn the gears. Is fixing this easier than fixing the fan? Of course, this assumes that everything on this panel works, which I have no idea.

Cheers,
Dale
Buffalo, NY
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Only blowing on high is probably the resistor pack. IIRC it is up by the fan itself, but I'm stretching on this one. BTW, E24s use a transistor, E28s a resistor pack just like E12s. The transistors fail more, but are easier to replace.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

IIRC, you pull the fan out and it's underneath the fan, since it uses the fan to cool it.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks guys. Which fan - the heater fan against the firewall, or the AC fan in the console? I cracked open my blue book and my ETM, but neither were specific on where it is.

For clarification for the archives, the fan only works on high in both AC and Heat settings.

Thanks,

Dale
Buffalo, NY
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Dale wrote:Thanks guys. Which fan - the heater fan against the firewall, or the AC fan in the console? I cracked open my blue book and my ETM, but neither were specific on where it is.

For clarification for the archives, the fan only works on high in both AC and Heat settings.

Thanks,

Dale
Buffalo, NY
In that case it's probably the switch, A/C and heat use different resistors.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter