Leather Conditioning

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

guzzidude

Leather Conditioning

Post by guzzidude »

What do you guys feel works well to recondition dry E12 leather? I have read countless threads from people swearing by anything from Lexol to Leatherique. You guys know our leather best...
Domingo

Post by Domingo »

The same as used for very fine shoes!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

wwwgriots.com
Rosallina's leather is factory original & still supple!
Check her out in 'car of the month' October.
The leather still looks just as nice.
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
Domingo

Post by Domingo »

Zymoel leather conditioner works fine.
guzzidude

Post by guzzidude »

GripGreg wrote:wwwgriots.com
Rosallina's leather is factory original & still supple!
Check her out in 'car of the month' October.
The leather still looks just as nice.

Thanks,
Car of the month on this site or is there one on griot's?

My main issue is the top of backseats its split the threads on the piping. Trying to moisten it enough, hopefully, to pull back together since the rest of the car is near perfect.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

I've used Neatsfoot oil, the stuff that softens new baseball mitts, farm boot clodhoppers, on the rear seat backs as you describe. They haven't gotten any harder, crunchier, but they hardly turned buttery soft, either.

You can Google search the Leatherique web site, to read about their wonderful restoration conditioner sauce, that I intend to try someday just because of their juicy copy writing.

Unless you buy some first and report it's snake oil.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

It's a two part problem. Leather does get hard and dried out, but it also has a finish on it which helps protect it, but also minimizes oil or conditioner penetration. But if you remove it, you would need to redye or at least reseal it.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
guzzidude

Post by guzzidude »

I've heard just about everything in countless forums. Some say nothing will penatrate the dye/paint surface and others say stuff will. I don't know.

Some folks say that keeping a wet rag on it for a period of time will recharge the collogen it will puff right back.

In my experience using whatever advance or autozone offers on other cars, I have found that leather does become softer and some how does penatrate or atleast it seems so.

The leatherique people as noted before, act like it's some holy virgin oil. And you can look at the pics on their site. Real inspring. Martketing is on occaision. I just cant see spending $60 on something that "may" work.

I dunno. I think I am just going to run out and get some lexol and see what happens.
Jeff Dennis

Post by Jeff Dennis »

I've used everything from a good hand cream to leatherique and recently removed melted headliner from a leather base cushion and conditioned it with a good dry skin lotion while using a nylon nail brush to get in the grain (removing the melted plastic).
Have to say it worked really well and conditioned the rest of the seats with the same lotion a month later it still feels great.
Always wanted to try neat's oil and may yet on color worn leather. Jeff
Hanging out in Huntsville
1977 530i 60K
1980 525 Euro
1989 E30 Cab
1992 E30 Cab
1976 R75/6
1974 2002
Alfas
guzzidude

Post by guzzidude »

I guess hand cream with collagen would make sense to replenish what has dried up. May snag some from the wife's stash and test it out.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Good tip Jeff, I may try that! after all, it seems to be cheaper.
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach