Oil Filter Housing

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Max

Oil Filter Housing

Post by Max »

Question: I have a 1975 530i with an early style oil filter housing, and I'm curious about the possibility of updating to a later design. Based on what i can see in realoem, the m30 went through three housing designs:

1) Early (part #11421252464 - used on E3, E9, E12, E24) - which has a bolt inserted from the underside to hold the filter bowl in place. The design is somewhat difficult to work with due to proximity to the alternator. A similar design was used on the B535, as well as several european variants (part #11421716587)
2) mid Starting in 1977 the housing design was updated to part # 11421266372 - this utilizes a similar filter bowl, which releases to the bottom - but the bolt is threaded through the top. I think this is the most common housing type, and seems to have been carried through frOm the E12, E23, E24 & E28
3) Late - in the E35 & E34, the filter housing design was changed to the more common design used in most other models up through the 1990s-2000s - this utilizes an upward facing housing with a bolted on lid. Unbolt the lid, drop in a new filter, voila done. From a user-friendly maintenance perspective, this is by far the superior design - also, if you pick the right donor car, some had a built in connection for an oil cooler. I'd be particularly interested to update to this filter design.

Oddly - I have a feeling at may be plug and play - the gasket connecting the filter housing to the block is the same part number in all cases (11421722688). So in theory it should bolt straight up (unless their are clearance issues with the intake).

Anyone have any experience on this?
onovakind67

Post by onovakind67 »

I have the top-bolt filter on my Bav. It was on the 3.0 when I bought the car, and it bolted right up to the 88 3.5 motor. The later filter that protrudes up occupies space that I don't have.
'72 3.5L 5-spd Bavarious - E3 with E12 front struts/brakes, E28 3.25 LSD rear axle, E39 wheels, Webers, etc, etc, etc...
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

Actually there are three different gaskets for the housings. You use the correct one for your block/housing combo. Also, there are different bolt lengths that you need to use depending on the housing. The B34 housing is the one most people use to upgrade from the steel can version. The Euro B34/US M5 version has oil cooler fittings which is also an option. If you have the room, the B35 E32 is the upswept can that in many cases also includes the oil cool fittings(B35 E34 is the same but without cooler fittings). It's highly unlikely that you would ever benefit from an oil cooler in a street car, but you can say you have one. Best case, use the the B34 housing and paint the can red. It will look totally stock but won't be a mess when it comes time for oil changes.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The late E12/E28 one is near ideal. It fits without problems and is immeasurably easier to work with changing the oil. It's a little cramped down there but it fits and is at least 100X easier to work with than laying on your back pushing up, trying to compress that spring (if it's still there) and align it and screw that bolt in with stuff falling in your face. (can you tell I've done it once or twice? :lol: ) Yeah, you spill a little, but not much.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Max

Post by Max »

Thanks for the information - I may just keep my eye open for either of the later designs. My preference would be for the later design from either the E34 or E32 - anyone know if it will clear the bananas on the stock intake.
Max

Post by Max »

Mike W. - I actually just bought my first E12 and when i was talking to the previous owner he said he prefers to just take off the whole housings and keeps a few replacement gaskets around. I thought that was just plain nuts. My other car is a 318is, and one of the joys of the M42 design is the upright filter housing so you can change the oil in 5minutes flat - the only messing around underneath is to undo the drain plug. As soon as I saw that the later M30 came with the same design I was on the hunt.

As a side point, I have heard that the upright design does have a fault. Since it is pointed upright, my understanding is that it incorporates a check valve to prevent the filter from draining down when the car is turned off. The check valves can develop a leak, meaning that after the car has been off for a period of time it takes a few extra seconds to build oil pressure on restart. No first hand experience, and never had a similar problem on my M42 - but I'd be curious to know.