Interested to hear exhaust options

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

PatinaBeforePolish

Interested to hear exhaust options

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Hello All,

I have a 79 528i and I'm interested to hear current performance exhaust feedback.

I just purchased a NOS Stahl header designed for this car. I can keep the CAT if desired but I don't need to as it's registered Historic in Maryland. I plan to replace the entire exhaust with an eye towards improved flow. The header does have a bung for the O2 sensor.

Stay with 2 mufflers, one muffler, front, rear?? There's an old thread here about using 528td exhaust components but checking parts diagrams they look completely different.

This is a great site - your help is appreciated!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I used a small mom & pop shop to replace mine from the cat. back on Buster.
I only have a rear I think 6" magnaflow muffler.
Make sure you stand around the installation to
make sure the front pipe is inside any rear pipe for
less turbulence which makes it a free-flow system!
With 2 1/2" pipe it cost me around $300.
Not too loud but, a great deep sound with no 2,000 rpm drone!
Just some info,,,,Greg
Rosallina/'80 528i
Buster/'82 635Euro
Hit the apex in Long Beach
John in Simi Valley
Site Admin

Post by John in Simi Valley »

The 1979 was the first E12 to have the Catalytic converter.
The stock manifold is the single log that collects from all six exhaust ports. Using two manifolds from the E28 533i/535i or e28 based e24 helps tremendously and is for the most part, all you need to get high flow exhaust up front. It's also a best value, because they're cheap wrecking yard pulls.
Using aftermarket headers is a bit overkill (and louder), but will certainly help.

Don't bother with the O2 sensor up front. The system doesn't support it. The sensor at the Cat is all you need. And IMHO, you should have the Cat even if the standards in your state no longer require it -- Because the exhaust fumes will be annoying without the Cat.
Have a wife or girl friend? They will bitch and moan about the smelly fumes and your health concerns along with.

When building the exhaust system, I'm glad you plan to use the resonator and muffler. Don't cheap out and bypass the resonator. Reason is because it's a BMW. The hallmark of these cars is the very difficult combination of sport and elegance in one. That equates to performance, yet quiet. Ever checkout a late model M3? Pretty quiet, Huh? That's what I'm talking about. The exhaust components don't have to be stock, OEM. You don't even need to have the duo port muffler - that's just for appearance. Save some money and get functional components that reflect the spirit and intentions of stock.

Getting back to your comment of Hi-Flow exhaust.
Yes, we know you mean GO FAST.
If that's really your objective then just do a 3.5 M30 transplant. It's not that hard and it will really bring some life to the conservative looking 528i.

Reminds me of a friend (much younger than I) who had a 1985 528e. He poured thousands of $$$ into the car trying to make it go faster. 325i head, headers, performance chip, after market AFM. I told him it's much easier to just sell the M20 sub par car and buy a 535i or 535is. Look at all the heartache you'd save. Eventually he did just that and to this day is kicking himself for not listening to me earlier.

Good luck with your endeavors.
John Savage
1980 528i 5-Speed
FirstFives COTM Editor
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

John,

Thanks for sharing your very constructive experience. I didn't consider the smell going non-cat but it's a good point.

It sounds like the performance gains are mostly around the exhaust manifold and you propose leaving the rest of the system stock or the aftermarket equivalent. My goal is stainless and I saw another post here suggesting e28 components from Billy Boat which I'll consider. The center mounted twin tailpipes are really classic and will be retained.

As this is an ancient forum in internet years, it's really interesting to read the older posts and observe how these cars are evolving in terms of ownership, maintenance, upgrades and how they're valued. I purchased my car last year in Mendocino County from the 2nd owner of 15 years. Completely original including paint, with zero rust and all records back to new. After a stay with Bill Arnold and several thousands later, it's safely tucked away on the east coast with a clean bill of health.

Five or ten years ago this would have been hot rodded in a minute but after experiencing how nice this car is and how they're becoming valued in general, I hesitate with changes like an M30 swap. Instead my focus will be on enhancements with an eye towards originality meaning I'm keeping the original motor. I will swap for a 5 speed however.

Any further suggestions along these lines are greatly appreciated - this forum is my go-to resource for all things e12!