crack in my '79 six'ers dash

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

bgriff

crack in my '79 six'ers dash

Post by bgriff »

Hey guys, I've always been particular about keeping my '79 633 out of the sun/heat, if at all possible....and I keep it garaged. Just noticed a crack in the center of my dash that I'd like to take care of if there's a way. Two months ago I had the car at a body shop to have the front air dam repainted and the bumpers tucked....one of the guys at the shop had pulled the car out into the sunlight and left it in the 90% heat until I showed up and moved it back into the garage....I really think that heat is what caused this 3 inch crack to appear. Is there a way to repair these dashes so that they look halfway decent?
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Google search SEM products for descriptions and local dealers. I posted my success story repairing a rear spoiler awhile back.

The spoiler being molded foam with a black vinyl, " Shell, " covering, I thought repairing the cracks in the covering was a long shot. Heat, cold, any flexing would most likely crack the two part filler again. Besides, who ever heard or rubber anything that sanded smooth ?

Danged if the stuff didn't work. No cracks after four, five years. I admit I covered the trunk (paint) with heavy paper and mounted the spoiler to fill, sand the cracks in that flexed position. Painted it with the SEM paint. Still looks factory new.

The only dash crack problem I imagine is some cracks create a kind of peak, with the crack at the top of the two sides of the vinyl shell. Filling the crack will probably work, but trying to sand off the high spot, risking widening the space in the vinyl shell, adding more filler, ...

Might wind up in your ordering a dash carpet.
lazytv

Post by lazytv »

There are quite a few DIY articles online on small cracks like T.Hanson said but there is a place that does full dashboard restoration and they grind the vinyl and foam back to the frame. Just had it done for my 1973 3.0CS E9 but its not cheap (but my dash was fried).

http://www.justdashes.com/tag/bmw/

or you could buy a cover..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coverking-Dash- ... 1848396013
Currently own: 1973 BMW 3.0CS; 1981 BMW 528i
Past: 1995 BMW 318Ti; 1995 BMW 318i; 2001 BMW 325Ci; 1981 Austin HL Estate