Door sealing trim

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

PatinaBeforePolish

Door sealing trim

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Hello All,

I'm planning to replace the rubber front door sealing trim - #1 in the diagram. Anyone have experience removing the door trim to do the job? Of course the factory manual makes it look so easy but reality looks very different. I do have the new parts btw. Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=41_0506
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
centralcoaster

Post by centralcoaster »

I believe the interior door rubber molding is glued to the door. It would just be a matter of removing the old rubber and using the proper adhesive to fix the new one in place
Robert Bondi

Re: Door sealing trim

Post by Robert Bondi »

PatinaBeforePolish wrote:Hello All,

I'm planning to replace the rubber front door sealing trim - #1 in the diagram. Anyone have experience removing the door trim to do the job? Of course the factory manual makes it look so easy but reality looks very different. I do have the new parts btw. Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=41_0506
I've done this job on a 77. You don't need to remove the door trim. A few plastic pry tools are useful. No adhesive is needed either; it's a snug fit. Waterless hand lube or talc powder are useful for installation. One thing prevents this from being a totally easy job - the door brake or door check. You'll have to get into the door internals to disconnect it, unless you want to cut your new seal - not recommended.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Thanks guys. It looks like a very tight fit. The new part does come bathed in talc. I think I'll practice first on my parts car.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck