Exhaust headers

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

10ringarcher

Exhaust headers

Post by 10ringarcher »

Can anyone recommend exhaust headers for my 78 530i? I am looking to replace/remove the thermal reactors and smog equipment.

Also wondering if the same headers would fit an M90 with production date 10/1980?

Thanks.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I don't know who's making headers these days, but I bet they're around somewhere. Yes on the M90 fitment, all M30s (and really the M90 is just an early 3.5 M30) have the same exhaust ports and bolt pattern. All the way up to the last B35s in '93.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
10ringarcher

Post by 10ringarcher »

I have heard of Supersprint, Ireland Eng. and Stahl, but I was wondering if someone had any input or experience on design, fit, performance and such.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

10ringarcher wrote:I have heard of Supersprint, Ireland Eng. and Stahl, but I was wondering if someone had any input or experience on design, fit, performance and such.
Decide what style you want. Shorties are easy to install, but aren't as efficient as long tube headers. It's really hard to find short tube headers anyway.. Stahl is known for it's long tube design, but pricey. IE, Schmiedmann, Super Sprint med length headers fit fine. The best balance of price/performance I think are IE. Their early design had fitment issues, but those aren't even made anymore. The current ones fit fine and give modest HP increase, not far off from long tube headers. Choosing depends on where you want your benefit- Lower/mid range or higher RPMs..
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
10ringarcher

Post by 10ringarcher »

Thank you for your responses.
I think I'd prefer low/mid range gains since these cars already feel great up top.
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Stahl headers have a reputation for being very high quality. Stahl is unfortunately out of business as I confirmed with a Stahl family member last year who's helping liquidate their inventory. The founder finally put away his welding torch at almost 80 years old. All e12 headers are gone but I believe Kormann and some other specialty shops may have purchased the remaining inventory.

I found a NOS set on ebay last year and the kit is amazingly complete. CAD plated hardware and clamps, copper nuts, gaskets and complete instructions. It also included the L shaped pipe used to connect to the cat with 2 O2 bungs. Stahl headers are easily identified by a small logo plate near the collection tubes.

I have an additional set on my 80 parts car that are still on the car and will be for sale. The car sat outside for some time so there's heavy surface rust around the collectors. PM me for more information.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck