E28 flywheel interchange?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Haha. I didn't even read the first two lines of the post. Only 5-speed trans that works in the 528i with the stock speedo is the Getrag 265.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

Speedos are overrated anyway.
They tend to gather en masse on the Riviera, tightly wrapped around generously proportioned oil tycoons looking for love.

So,... what was this thread about?
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
Lock

Post by Lock »

CabbageFumes wrote:I don't know if you have other plans or just don't care, but you do realize that there is no speedo drive on the later trans, right?
Anyway, as Chris said, balance isn't affected with a different flywheel.
The added weight of the dual mass flywheel is a trade off for a more comfortable gear change. If it is a commuter car, I'd keep the dual mass.
I just happen to have a new Sachs clutch kit for your dual mass flywheel if you haven't sourced one yet if you're interested.
No I knew the speedo wouldn't work, but 265s are rare and attract ridiculous prices now. What I read everyone saying was "Only the 265 will fit", when what they mean is the speedo cable won't but everything else will. Why pay $1000 (which is more than my car is worth) when I can get the same gears wrapped in a newer case for $200. I have an e30 cluster from which I'll take the speedo mechanism and put that inside my cluster. For the signal, I'm going to rig up the diff sensor on a bracket on one of the rear wheels, and attach the signal plate to it. The speedo will look factory, but be electronic. And eventually when I put an e28 subframe in, the 'proper' diff sensor will be there anyway.

But thanks for the conformation on the flywheel weight! Appreciate it, I'll go ahead and buy the bolts and install it, and see how it goes. If it is terrible i'll look at a single mass flywheel and clutch later. But I figured a dual-mass might be a smooth upgrade.

Mr. Cabbage, thanks for your offer, but as it happens I do have a new clutch - craigslist guy sold me his gearbox, clutch and flywheel from his (he claimed) totaled e34 for the bargain price of $300 all up.

Next up, to see if the e34 shifter fits or whether I'll need to cut and weld.
1979 528i - Sold
Lock

Post by Lock »

CabbageFumes wrote:Speedos are overrated anyway.
They tend to gather en masse on the Riviera, tightly wrapped around generously proportioned oil tycoons looking for love.

So,... what was this thread about?
Oh, I see what you did there...
1979 528i - Sold
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

Hint- e34 shifter mechanism will not fit. Get the whole setup from an e28 or e24, including the selector rod.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
Lock

Post by Lock »

CabbageFumes wrote:Hint- e34 shifter mechanism will not fit. Get the whole setup from an e28 or e24, including the selector rod.
Thanks for confirmation, another item for the parts list. This e34 shifter would have needed a bushing kit anyway.
1979 528i - Sold
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

To clarify, the shifter itself would work, it's the aluminum support and the rod that are the wrong length from the e34.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
Lock

Post by Lock »

Gotcha. I'll get the whole assembly from a later e28, but with or without the shifter itself (depending what I find on craigslist or ebay). Plus a bushing kit, because worn assemblies like the one I have are almost unusable.
1979 528i - Sold