1977 e12 gas tank re/re

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

maybeillbuyit

1977 e12 gas tank re/re

Post by maybeillbuyit »

I recently removed the rusty old tank from the 77 530i and was surprised at how much trouble I had dropping it. After moving the exhaust out of they way and undoing the the three bolts I figured it would just slowing drop out like the the e24 tanks I've removed in the past. This tank seemed like it was about two inches two wide to come out.
this photo shows the outer side of the tank as its being lowered,the lower quarter panel curves in and holds the tank. I had to actually bend the quarter panel out and it still scratched the paint and scrapped the tank all up. Not a big deal as this tank is toast but the new tank in all shiney and nice I'd rather not have to bend the quarter panel again
ImageIMG_0863 by Dave Grayson, on Flickr[/img]

The photo shows the left drivers side of the tank. the seam is jammed right against the spare tire well and won't let the tank move over at all
ImageIMG_0864 by Dave Grayson, on Flickr[/img]

Also the filler neck prevents the tank from rotating much. I also scratched up the paint on the inside of the filler neck housing. I figured , OK I'll ask a few people and search up the topic. I haven't seen anyone else whos done the tank removal and refit even mention any problems with tank being tight. Is there a trick to doing this. I never had any problems at all with the various e24s I've done this on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

An apology in advance, offering recent experience in an attempt to be helpful risking probable further frustration.

My e12, e24 tank swap experience, like yours, may be irrelevant to a '77. Strange to ponder as any tank must be installed somehow ? Never to be replaced without major body parts needing moving, suffering damage ?

What I discovered was a game of 1/8 inches. Dropping the exhaust, removing the muffler bracket, rubber doughnuts, levering, pushing, this front up first,... rubic's cube brain teaser. Oh, having nothing to do with any factory instructions.

Worse, or fabulous, when the jousting finally worked, ... what ? How ? That fact was true. It just did, without knowing any order, tricks to remember.

Summary ? It will go in. It has to. If there is a trick it is stubborn patience.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Thx for the response, thats pretty much what I thought. Its one of those things that seems really hard if not impossible until it works and you wonder what took so long. I was just so surprised how much harder than the e24 it was to slide out. Like you say, I has to go back in, so it will. Cheers
1987 635csi
cory58

Post by cory58 »

Just finished this same project on my '77. It was actually easier than I anticipated. I tilted the tank forward and then just wiggled it out without a problem. One thing that helped on the reinstall was using a floor jack, old riding lawnmower tires and blocks of wood to elevate the tank into place and keep it level.

Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

OK thx ,that does sound encouraging, and it makes sense as the fender widens out going forward. I did use a floor jack so the weight etc wasn't a problem, just getting it out from between the fender and spare tire well. Thx for the input.
1987 635csi