Air cleaners

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Air cleaners

Post by T.Hanson »

Forever,... I have used my air compressor to blast the out the visible dirt and fluffy stuff. Fooling around with the box removed to access the AFM I was amazed at the difference in the idle settings, being right on, less warm up time, whatever.

Clutching my coin purse, perhaps rationalizing weeny teeny dust particulates can't possibly inhibit grocery getter performance, have I been wrong ?
toddness

Post by toddness »

Obviously, this has gone on way too long and you are doing everything wrong.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Everything ?
toddness

Post by toddness »

I hope you realize my response was sarcasm.

If you've been maintaining an E12 'forever', you must be doing something right - likely more like everything right.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

I think this is a clubhouse and we are sitting around.

A shot in the shorts keeps things loose. Besides, I know I am old and goofy and so am I.

So, any input on air filters ? Replace when, or partial to freer flow upgrade, noticeable performance boost ?
toddness

Post by toddness »

There are so many factors into what I think could be a realistic response.

How many miles a year and how often is it on the road.
What kind of conditions? Region, roads, etc.
Existing performance condition and expectations.

Your method sounds pretty reasonable if the thing isn't falling apart or all gummed up, and your are not expecting to pass Parnelli with a stock m30b28 or the like and only laying down less than five thousand miles a year.

I'd probably change it every 5 or so years if this is the case. Maybe 10 if the conditions are completely mild for dirt, dust and moisture.

If you are gobbling up 16K miles a year, well, i'd go back to changing it every 2 years. If you put a solid 5K of those on dirt roads, how about every 6 months?

Probably nothing wrong with doing the same with a more free flowing filter, I doubt the butt dyno can't feel the difference, especially if on the way to the grocery store.

I'd also be willing to make a reasonable bet (or willing to pay to find out, if you will) you would feel more of a difference ( and probably prove it on a dyno) between a summer night and a cold winter night with your old filter and method at WOT vs a summer night and changing to a free flow filter at WOT that day.

If you want a significant performance upgrade, get a new M3. At least it might save your life if the car outperforms the driver.

I swear the fridge had only two beers in it when I got to the clubhouse.
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Hey, thank you for the education, taking the time to type it for other members to learn.

The details put my individual question to rest. It happened with no warnings, the differential input bearing let go. Through some miracle the car made it back to the shed, moving along neighborhood streets with the noises.

After replacing the bearing the take away was being smooth and gentle on all of the old parts. Budget pragmatism. I used to race, been there, done that, no need for city burn outs, clover leaf wheel sawing on the edge,... blah blah. The air cleaner(s) are just fine.
toddness

Post by toddness »

Full disclosure, this is my opinion based purely on years of hair loss. I could be totally off base.

Someone else may come in here and educate us both.