It's Alive! It's Alive! The no fuel issue......

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

It's Alive! It's Alive! The no fuel issue......

Post by canada karl »

So I bypassed 36 & 39 on the AFM and heard a very faint click. I removed the the black plastic combo relay from the 77 parts car and the connections were the same as the metal 76 one so I sprayed them with electrical spray and installed it on the 76. Tried the AFM flap and heard a louder click. Turned the key and it fired up right away and is running sweet. Glad this forum is still alive. Thanks to those who gave me their input as electrical is not one of my strong points. :D
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
waltb

Re: It's Alive! It's Alive! The no fuel issue......

Post by waltb »

Inside the bad relay you will probably find the pc board the relays are mounted to has various cracked solder joints and maybe some corrosion. You maybe able to resurrect the bad relay if you want to try opening the case up and touching up the solder joints. New ones are getting expensive and hard to find since our cars are ~40 years old.

waltb
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

I did open up the relay. There's some pretty gungy looking brown corrosion in various places in there. Don't think that will clean up. The parts car had a couple of combo relays in a box that the PO must have saved. Maybe one of them will be salvageable?
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

You might be surprised. A good spray contact cleaner and some Q-tips combined with patience might clean out the funk and corrosion, and the solder repair can be easily and cheaply done at an electronic repair shop if you don’t want to attempt it. If you have several I would be tempted to clean and test all of them and repair them.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual