Antenna adapter

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

dsw99a

Antenna adapter

Post by dsw99a »

Finally getting around to installing my Continental radio in my 78 530i. Got it all in, EXCEPT, my radio antenna plug is too large to plug into my new head unit. I have looked up antenna adapters but none specifically list the e12 models as acceptable. Has anyone run into this issue? How did you over come using a stock antenna (and its plug) for a new afermarket radio. thx.
Lock

Re: Antenna adapter

Post by Lock »

My car without power antenna has the DIN connector which is standard, it plugged into my aftermarket radio no problems.
You might want to confirm your radio has a DIN antenna connector, not an ISO or something else. Also try searching for what fits an e28, as they're mostly the same car and my guess is the antenna wire would be the same.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
528i-1981

Re: Antenna adapter

Post by 528i-1981 »

You can find adapters for the DIN antenna jack online or at Crutchfield. I installed a Blaupunkt Bavaria C from the early 90's in my E12, which is a DIN chassis cassette deck. The DIN chassis is deeper, so I had to use a 90-degree antenna adapter and a faceplate spacer because there was insufficient clearance in the rear or the radio. The final result was good, but it took some patience to pack everything in there, including the chunky harness adapter.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual