Whelp...it looks like I may have a spun bearing!

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

keehn

Whelp...it looks like I may have a spun bearing!

Post by keehn »

Hey everyone.

So, what had happened was a couple days ago, I was dialing in the spark timing with a timing light. I had just got the timing dialed in when the engine began stalling (from a steady 1700 RPM) and then died. I turned the engine back over again and heard the dreaded rattling marbles sound from the rear of the engine.

Not sure if the banjo bolt fix was too late, or if it is the crankshaft journal bearings. I plan to perform an autopsy in the next couple months. I had already planned a full rebuild this winter, now it has turned from preventative to corrective maintenance...
528i-1981

Re: Whelp...it looks like I may have a spun bearing!

Post by 528i-1981 »

Terrible luck for you! You hardly had time to enjoy driving it. At least it’s autumn!
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Drats! And right in the middle of the fall driving season. I have an 87k mile engine in my parts car if you’re interested. About 100 miles from you in southeast Pa.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
keehn

Post by keehn »

Patina,

I'll keep you in mind. However, I had already purchased a reman M30 head and I would really like to keep the original block with Eleanor...if possible that is. If the hardware is too far gone, then I'll reach out to you.

I have a 2002 330i I need to fix (EWS-DME sync issue) as it is currently taking up space in the larger section of my garage. Once that's done, Eleanor will be pulled in there and I can then begin surgery.