Euro Bumper mounting help

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

adam_torrence

Euro Bumper mounting help

Post by adam_torrence »

Hey so I am in the process of doing a euro bumper conversion however after bolting on the rear brackets the whole bumper in angled down and has a big gap. did anyone have a step by step thread otherwise i will start documenting so far all i have done is take off the US bumpers and bolt in the brackets for the rear. I apreciate any help from anyone els who has done this and also ill give my old US bumpers and shocks to anyone who wants them in the ventura County/ LA area.
1979 528i m30b34 5 speed swap project
1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
PatinaBeforePolish

Re: Euro Bumper mounting help

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Adam,

Sounds like the brackets could be upside down? Do the outer bumper sections line up with the holes in the rear quarters? One fender hole is used when attaching the forward bumper edge to the body, the other larger hole is not used. This would indicate if it's not positioned correctly to the body. Are you starting with new parts or used and have you verified they're the correct parts? It's a challenge to post pictures here but they would help.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
Lock

Post by Lock »

I followed kwyjibo's build when I installed mine. Photobucket is doing that annoying "give us money" blurry thing but you get the idea.

https://firstfives.org/phpBB-3.2.1/phpB ... f=5&t=5150

I second Patina's opinion the two body mounts may be upside down. Also you'll need to cut off the two protruding body supports for the US bumper because they'll hit the Euro bumper. It's soft metal so I just used bolt cutters, tidied it up with a dremel and then used por-15 to seal it up. I can post pictures later if it helps.

Once you cut those two pieces off, mounting should be simple as all the holes are there, plus extras. I also recommend having two people do it to avoid each side scratching the paint.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
adam_torrence

Post by adam_torrence »

Thanks allot Lock the link really helped i will try to upload some pictures of my situation later today but i think i figured out my problem the brakcets were not on backwards. I bought everything used for a really cheap price and i believe that the brackets for the rear are bent a little. just putting them next to each other they are at dramatically differnt angles i am still having some issues on how to upload pictures on here but i really apreiate your help those pictures made me realize my bracktes are bent back a little.
1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
adam_torrence

Post by adam_torrence »

1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Hello Adam, Did you have to do any cutting? I dont see any fresh saw marks anywhere? Are those the standard OEM brackets, or a nifty aftermarket doo-hickey? I will be attempting to go Euro "hopefully" in the not-so-distant future.
adam_torrence

Post by adam_torrence »

Yeah I did not have the metal blades ready to cut it at the time but you will have to do some cutting where the US shocks were on the front and back I just bent it out of the way with vise grips to try to mount it it is OEM I wire brushed and repainted it and got rid of the rusted out square bolts in the brackets but it is OEM but I got them for just over 200$ with a little bit of rust but I think the person who sent them somehow bent the brackets before it got to me.
1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
Lock

Post by Lock »

Hi Adam, yes those definitely look like they've been bent. I couldn't find any photos from my install, but I do have the schematic which prett much shows they should be a right angle to match the profile and support the top and face of the bumper. The bumpers sit directly on top of those two mounts. If you can straighten yours out, you should be okay.

1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
PatinaBeforePolish

They look like the wrong brackets and they're bent. When building a house, the foundation must be level and square otherwise poor measurements magnify into problems. I found assembling and mounting euro bumpers using new parts required a fair amount of adjusting - I would just order the correct new brackets from Wallothnesch and be done with it.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/catalog ... 1121817069

(no affiliation other than they've provided great service)

Also, the longer tab with the tow hook extension needs to be nipped. Cut it about 1/2" in front of the hole and you'll be fine. And the holes from where the US rubber trim trim piece attached to the body need to be filled other wise exhaust fumes will enter the trunk and passenger areas. I used short bolts with Scotch 3M body sealer but properly sized grommets will work as well:

https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/blanmetrubgr.html

And what is the picture with the clay pot in it showing with what looks like 4 black brackets?
79 528i
86 944- 2023 project
adam_torrence

Post by adam_torrence »

Thanks allot Patina!
The link to those brackets were the cheapest ive seen so far i will likely order those and be done and the picture with the pot was the 2 brackets next to each other its hard to see because the Photobucket watermark covers it but my 2 brackets were bent to different angles.
1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
Lock

Post by Lock »

Thanks also Patina for a link to the grommets, I forgot to seal those holes up because once the carpet is in you can't see them and I forgot. Possibly because I've been inhaling exhaust fumes.
Adam I don't know if you've done the front yet, but once you have the right brackets the back bumper should be a breeze, the hardest part is bolting up the bumpers with a couple of extensions from within the trunk but that's no big deal.
It's the front bumper that's a pain due to no mounting holes. In kwyjibo's thread he pulled a bracket into the frame rail and drilled one side, but I actually drilled right through both sides of frame rail and bought bolts and nuts that fit exactly, then once again covered everything with the por-15 so there's options.
PatinaBeforePolish

That's exactly how I attached my front bracket as well Lock. And now I wish I had taken pics along the way but of course I wanted to do the work and not spend time with a camera! The front brackets have a tab used to secure the horns on the euro models. The tab will have to be cut off if present. A right angle drill will be very helpful for drilling the holes in the frame rail.

Adam - you may also consider ordering new clips that hold the rubber strips to the bumper as they're frequently corroded and may break on re-installation. They're specific to the euro bumpers and smaller than the ones used on the US bumpers. I installed the rub strips before attaching the bumper to the car as they don't exactly snap into place especially if you're working with new strips. Push them in as far as possible then use an L shaped awl on the backside to to firmly seat them - you'll feel a distinct click.
79 528i
86 944- 2023 project